Tech Lead, Kik
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2023
MediaLab is a media & technology company focused on acquiring and growing properties and global brands. The organization is a unique combination of private equity, holding company and operating entity. We continue to expand and are proud of the prominent market position of our brands.
Come join an exceptionally talented team of engineers, designers, product and business builders. HQ is located in sunny Santa Monica, California with growing teams in New York, and across cities in the US and Latin America.
Your Role at MediaLab
MediaLab Engineering supports a growing number of applications across multiple business verticals which have been acquired through a careful selection process to integrate with its internal Ad platform that processes billions of impressions a month.
Kik, a legacy product facilitating hundreds of millions of messages every year, is looking for a savvy, experienced engineer to lead the team. As the Engineering Lead at Kik, you will be at the epicenter of guiding a gifted team of software engineers in the detailed design, development, and implementation of software solutions in Java and Golang. You will champion architectural discussions, making critical high-level design choices that prioritize scalability, performance, and steadfast reliability. Your expertise will be paramount in working with and modernizing legacy systems, ensuring a smooth and uninterrupted business transition to newer, more efficient technologies. Your commitment to conducting thorough code reviews will contribute to the consistent delivery of top-notch code, leading by example and helping your engineering team of iOS, Android, and Backend engineers to follow suit for the Kik mobile application.
What You'll Do
- Provide technical leadership to a dynamic team of software engineers.
- Lead essential architectural discussions and make high-level design decisions.
- Ensure a seamless transition from legacy systems to contemporary technologies.
- Conduct comprehensive code reviews and mentor junior engineers.
- Stay abreast with emerging technologies and propose integration into ongoing projects where relevant.
- Communicate effectively with various stakeholders and ensure impeccable documentation standards.
What We're Searching For
- 10+ years’ experience in backend engineering roles, with proven experience in Java or Golang.
- At least 2+ years formal people leadership experience including performance reviews, personnel management, interviewing and hiring, etc.
- Extensive knowledge in architecture design and modernizing legacy systems.
- Proficiency in conducting code reviews and mentoring team members.
- A robust understanding of emerging technologies and their application.
- Exceptional communication skills, with a firm emphasis on stakeholder communication and documentation.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
At MediaLab, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace.