Staff Software Engineer (Distributed Systems)
Our Mission: Make healthcare #1 in customer service.
What We Deliver: Artera (formerly WELL Health®) is the patient communication platform that delivers happier staff, healthier patients, and more profitable organizations. We enable two-way conversations between patients and their healthcare teams through secure, multilingual messaging across multiple channels – including text, email, and telephone. By unifying disjointed touchpoints into a single, intuitive channel, Artera fuels connected patient experiences and empowers organizations to deliver the best customer service imaginable.
Our Impact: Artera helps 500+ healthcare providers facilitate more than 1 billion messages for 40+ million patients annually.
Our award-winning culture: In 2021, Artera was named #10 on the Forbes list of America’s Best Startup Employers, as well as being named one of Deloitte’s Fast 500 (#133). Artera was also recognized as one of the Best Midsize Companies to Work for in Los Angeles by Built In in 2022, and has been ranked on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies for three consecutive years.
Artera’s Engineering team is looking for a talented Staff Engineer. You will report directly to the Engineering VP running the developer experience team. This team is a horizontally focussed one: tasked with guiding company architecture and development patterns, monitoring and limiting tech debt, advising on new capability adoptions, and improving the overall developer experience.
The purpose of the Staff Engineer role is to bring strong expertise in high throughput, highly available backend architecture, and a demonstrated commitment to training and technical mentoring of less experienced team members. Staff Engineers have a keen interest in how software and modern communication channels can improve the patient experience coupled with the flexibility and adaptability to thrive in a fluid startup environment.
- Is an expert for help in their domain area or with fundamental patterns and systems.
- Encourages others to embrace failure and maintains a healthy blameless culture.
- Executes on open-ended large features that span many sprints.
- Ensures their team is aware of technical context.
- Is accountable for cross-team buy-in on architecture refactoring.
- Is capable of building an entire product from scratch that requires significant IO effort.
- Models what it means to be a mature developer by sharing and reflecting engineering maturity with others.
- Proactively improves stability and performance of architecture for team implementations.
- Educates and mentors peers on how to improve in Engineering Principles.
- Trusted to come up with solid technical solutions to ambiguous problems that involve complexity and affect multiple different products. Systematically thinks through effects.
- Code review feedback is highly insightful, addressing high-level thoughts, and is trusted as both authoritative and helpful/kind/coaching.
- Acts as a guardian of quality via code review for the team and provides code review feedback
- Is often the source of others’ learning.
- Given an open-ended problem, comes to a good proposal for a solution.
- Executes new ideas to improve the engineering culture and values.
- Uses fitting opportunities to bring transparency and crisp communication to their organization and their leaders.
- Provides feedback on how to continually improve team processes.
- Works with stakeholders (e.g. product or design) to figure out engineering solutions to story-level problems within their domain.
- Is experienced in IO processes and methodologies.
- Shares the stage and ensures that teammates have room to express their ideas and vision.
- Actively solicits feedback, seeking advice on ways to improve any way they can.
- Bachelor's Degree, ideally in STEM OR relevant technical experience
- 7+ years designing and implementing cloud based applications in a professional environment
- Experience with event sourced and microservice architecture (Kafka preferred)
- Strong grasp of ES/Typescript
- High level of proficiency in SQL (PostgreSQL) database design
- Experienced working with asynchronous requests in large scale applications
- Commitment to testing best practices
- Ability to deliver and receive code review feedback in a productive manner
- Ability to effectively prioritize work and make tradeoff decisions
- Ability to have a strong understanding of how technology decisions impact the customer
- Ability to work cross-functionally with other engineering teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to be clear and articulate
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills and ability to lead a team through challenges
- Experience working with remote teams
- Collaboration/contributions with the open source community
- Experience with:
- Domain Driven Design
Artera is Santa Barbara, CA based and remote friendly. If you are located outside of the Santa Barbara area and located within the United States and are interested in working remotely, APPLY TODAY. #LI-Remote ##BI-Remote
WORKING AT ARTERA
- Company benefits - Full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision), flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, company paid short-term & long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, company equity, voluntary benefits, 401(k) and more!
- Career development - Mentorship program, manager development cohorts, employee development funds.
- Generous time off - Company holidays, wellness days, and flexible time off.
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) - We believe that everyone should belong at their workplace. Our ERGs are available for identifying employees or allies to join.
Actual base salary will depend on experience, skills, education, geographic location, and/or internal equity.
$139,000 - $215,000
Interested in learning more? Please visit our LinkedIn page or our Life at Artera Instagram (@artera_io) to hear from our employees about working at Artera.
Committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Artera is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fair and equitable hiring practices. All hiring decisions at Artera are based on strategic business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All candidates are considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexuality, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other protected status.
With that said, research shows that women and other underrepresented groups apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. Artera is committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage you to apply for positions even if you do not meet 100% of the criteria. We would love to connect with you and see if you would be a great fit for our role!
We’re dedicated to creating an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace, where everyone feels safe to be themselves and diversity is a strength. Artera is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment; Artera will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind.
Candidates should be aware that Artera currently maintains a policy requiring all employees (Resident, Mobile and Remote) to be fully vaccinated. New employees should be fully vaccinated by their start date. Artera is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
Something looks off?