Lead Data Engineer, Full-Stack
Belong Anywhere Ltd
Bubble empowers businesses and entrepreneurs around the world to build software and apps without writing any code or having to think about infrastructure. We have created a rich visual programming language running on commodity cloud infrastructure, making technology accessible and user-friendly and allowing users to bring their visions to life quickly.
What we’ve achieved:
Our product is working, and we are thriving. Entire VC-backed companies have been built entirely on Bubble, we recently raised a $100 million Series A after years of bootstrapping, and we’re one of the fastest-growing companies in the New York tech ecosystem.
You can build just about anything on Bubble. All new hires build Bubble apps as part of their onboarding, and a recent hire on our Customer Success team built their own version of the social media application Goodreads in 4 days. It has user authentication, an activity feed, upvotes, commenting, followers, lists, account management, live updates, a fully loaded database, API connectivity, and more.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join our Data organization as the founding expert in all things architecture, data modeling, and governance. In this role, you will own Bubble’s analytics data infrastructure and ETL pipelines and operate as a thought partner for the software engineering team, as well as for the data analysts and analytics engineers across the organization.
As an early Data team member at Bubble, you will have an immense opportunity to create impact both by improving existing data modeling and deployment practices with an eye on making the team more efficient and improving data quality, as well as by finding opportunities to activate existing data and unlock new data points for analysis. You will also have a chance to advise the engineering team on best practices of database design and pipeline development.
If you enjoy working across the spectrum of data engineering tasks - from setting up a data lake to optimizing a dbt DAG - and get excited about learning new tech stacks (you will get to see what is under the hood of Bubble!), this may be the right role for you!
- Design efficient and scalable data pipelines for collecting and combining data from various sources, as well as enabling different functions at Bubble to leverage transformed data in operational destinations
- Partner with data analysts on refining the data model used for reporting and analytical purposes
- Partner with engineering on improving availability and consistency of data points crucial for analysis and represent data team in architectural discussions
- Optimize pipelines data storage solutions from the query performance, cost and scalability standpoint
- Ensure consistent data pipeline performance when it comes to latency and error handling
- Own data compliance with privacy regulations (e.g., GDPR/CCPA)
- Execute comprehensive proof of concept/evaluation on new technologies and tools as appropriate for team’s needs
- 7+ years of experience in data engineering and/or analytics engineering, including some experience on small teams and/or as an early team member
- Proficiency in programming languages relevant for data engineering (Python, SQL and big data technologies, e.g. Spark)
- Previous experience with dbt (core & cloud) and Snowflake is beneficial
- Strong knowledge of key data modeling and data warehouse design approaches, appropriate use cases, their strengths and weaknesses. Understanding of lakehouse/data mesh technologies and approaches.
- Experience fostering test-driven development culture, conducting effective code reviews and setting up CI/CD in the context of a data team
- Understanding of GDPR/CCPA compliance requirements, experience and comfort in owning relevant data tasks
- Experience evaluating ETL and other infrastructure-adjacent vendors and advising cross-functional teams on vendor choices from the data compatibility and cost perspective
- Experience in and affinity for coaching more junior team members and cross-functional partners on best modeling and development practices
- Strong communication skills, knack for explaining complex technical concepts to collaborators of varying technical and experience levels
- Open mind and desire to learn new approaches and form new playbooks that would deliver the most impact in the context of Bubble’s strategical priorities
- Previous experience working with Stripe and Salesforce data
- Experience in Snowflake warehouse optimization for cost and performance
- Understanding of key SaaS metrics
- Experience working with ‘event’ data reflecting user interactions with a software product
- Experience with or interest in no-code development tools
Our current data stack includes the following tools/systems: PostgreSQL, Snowflake data warehouse, Stitch, Fivetran, dbt, Looker, Segment.
If this sounds like you, apply! If you don’t meet all of the qualifications but think you could be a match, we’d still love the chance to review your application.
We offer competitive compensation aligned to tier one markets, such as New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle. Our estimated salary for this role at Bubble ranges from $157,000 to $213,000. Actual pay is determined by multiple factors such as skills, qualifications, experience and market demand.
At Bubble, we encourage people from all ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Bubble does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
For this role, Bubble is currently only considering candidates who are authorized to work in the US and are within commuting distance of our office in New York City. We will provide relocation assistance to those who are interested in moving to the NYC area.
While we do not have any in-office attendance requirements, we prefer hiring people within commuting distance of our NYC office because we value getting together in person regularly. For those who enjoy working from our Manhattan office on a more regular basis, we offer catered lunches, and happy hours, among other fun perks.