Director, Talent Management
We acknowledge that Bench is founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
What does the People department look like?
Bench is seeking a Director, Talent Management who is a senior-level People Business Partner to build and implement strategies that will ensure we continue to develop and retain the exceptional talent at Bench. Reporting to the Vice President of People, this role will lead Talent Management by designing programs that create long-term career opportunities for our employees while driving organizational performance. Our Director, Talent Management will also be responsible for the strategy, design and execution of talent programs including People Business Partners, onboarding, performance management, learning & development, and succession planning. This role will foster a healthy workplace that helps us achieve our business objectives & maintain an equal employment opportunity environment.
What you’ll get up to:
- Lead and own the development & execution of Bench’s global talent development strategy.
- Act as Sr People Business Partner for the Technology and Product area of the business while managing and coaching our People and Business Partners for Operations and GTM.
- Lead a team of specialists delivering on our talent management center-of-excellence (CoE) roadmap.
- Be the Talent expert for the CoE throughout the project/initiative and help accomplish the project plan including providing progress reports, and flagging interdependencies and risks with your team leads.
- Provide subject matter expertise, deep business context, and direction to members of the Talent CoE when working together to solve challenges across the employee lifecycle and when helping shape enterprise program delivery.
- Adopt Agile practices and methodologies in the pursuit of the delivery of CoE projects.
- Demonstrate values-driven leadership and build an inclusive and empowering team culture.
- Provide strategic oversight and seek new opportunities to drive the effectiveness & efficiency of our performance management program.
- Develop a holistic executive talent review and succession planning strategy
- Overseeing and developing Talent Management initiatives such as a talent review system, leadership development, career programs, succession planning, and employee learning and development.
- Create a framework for career pathing and implement meaningful solutions to activate the internal talent marketplace (internal mobility).
- Provide direction and development of ongoing leadership development programs across the business.
- Driving a strong employee experience via exceptional onboarding and overseeing the People Experience function at Bench for an interim period.
- Taking the lead on developing Bench’s ‘Great Managers’ program, investing in development of front-line people managers, including developing a leadership pipeline with purposeful consideration of DEI.
- Partner with the Business and People Business Partners to understand their specific workforce strategy, diagnose our needs, identify capability & talent gaps, and collaborate to find solutions/outcomes to close the gaps.
- Take an inquisitive and consultative approach in partnership with Recruitment, Total Rewards, People Operations, People Experience, and, DEI teams to action on programs that attract, retain and develop talent globally.
- As lead People Business Partner, drive effective mentoring, sponsorship and coaching programs.
- Responsible for creating measurable talent analytics, establishing OKRs, KPI's to evaluate the impact and success of talent programs and adjusting strategy based on insights.
What you'll need:
- Functional Experience:
- 10+ years of experience in human resources or equivalent.
- 5+ years of people management experience.
- Experience creating and implementing programs focused on the development of employees at scale (e.g. onboarding, talent planning, performance management, manager development, internal mobility, high performer retention, learning & development, succession planning).
- 5 years experience as an HRBP with relationships at the senior leadership level
- Success with diagnosing needs in different contexts and application of talent management and talent development subject matter expertise across the employee life cycle.
- Experience in management or HR consulting is highly preferred.
- Leadership Skills:
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Passion for and the ability to thrive in a highly collaborative environment, working closely with partners at all levels across various functions of the organization.
- Intellectual curiosity with the ability to identify creative solutions to complex problems
- Effective at building relationships across business units.
- Strong data analytical ability to translate data into meaningful and actionable insights, and develop strategy based on those insights.
- Excellent storytelling skills, both verbal and written, with an ability to translate talent management and talent development frameworks and solutions into an accessible, influential narrative.
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The base salary for this position ranges from $129, 240 -$161,550, depending on experience. In addition to base salary, we also offer an attractive bonus structure to reward exceptional performance. This bonus structure is designed to offer the opportunity to earn additional compensation based on contributions to the company's success.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- You will have the support of your manager, and the opportunity to learn and develop with a team of unconventional & diverse Benchmates, who are all working together to achieve the same mission.
- We have a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home or in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! If you’re interested in remote only, we currently focus our hiring efforts in the following provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
- We provide solutions to bring all teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Regardless of how many days you decide to visit the office, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.
Something looks off?