Specialist, People Operations
What’s Bench? Visit Bench's latest news to see what's happening, and read what our customers have to say. You can also check us out in Medium, on our LinkedIn page, our Instagram, and our Life at Bench Blog.
We acknowledge that Bench was founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
What does the People Operations team look like?
The People team is one of the most critical functions in our business. We’re obsessed with creating incredible experiences for our Benchmates. We’re also serious about the development of our people and want Bench to be a place where you can catapult your career and make a real difference at the same time. As a People team, we’re committed to delivering and managing an exceptional employee experience from beginning to end. We are incessantly curious about how we can continue to move the needle and elevate the Benchmate experience. To do that, we hold ourselves accountable to high standards and commit to continuously improve.
As the People Operations Specialist, you will consult on a range of employee relations matters across the business. You will provide guidance on performance management issues, support our Benchmates with more complex benefits issues, including LOA and STIP, and work with key stakeholders to ensure positive employee relations.
What you’ll get up to:
- Provide day-to-day employee relations advice and support on a variety of practices, including coaching on performance management, LOA processes, policy interpretation, immigration support and more.
- Use our ticketing system, Jira, to pick up and manage Tier 1 tickets generated by Benchmates.
- Supporting payroll with employee changes.
- Conduct workplace investigations, ensuring matters are resolved in a timely manner and in alignment with employment standards and best practices.
- Develop and implement proactive employee relations strategies that foster a positive work environment and a high-performance culture.
- Build key relationships and networks the People Team and employees by championing employee relations strategies, programs and practices.
- Analyze employee relations data and trends to identify areas for improvement and make recommendations to People Ops leadership.
- Work on additional People Ops projects and initiatives as needed.
What you’ll need:
- At least three years of experience in Human Resources or a related field.
- An innovative mindset to improve operational efficiencies and ability to influence change, with a primary focus on client needs.
- You use critical thinking skills to recognize assumptions, evaluate arguments, draw conclusions and proactively propose solutions.
- Strong communication skills to clearly convey messages, explore diverse points of view, and influence leaders at all levels of the organization.
- To be collaborative - you build trusting relationships and provide guidance to support the development of colleagues.
- An expert knowledge of employment law including, Employment Standards, Human Rights legislation and Occupational Health and Safety.
- Experience conducting workplace investigations and writing investigation reports.
- A Chartered Professionals in Human Resources (CPHR) or Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation(s) would be a real asset.
What you’ll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $55,000 - $65,000 per year, depending on experience.
- In addition we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- You will have the support of your manager, and the opportunity to learn and develop with a team of unconventional & diverse Benchmates, who are all working together to achieve the same mission.
- We have a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home or in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! If you’re interested in remote only, we currently focus our hiring efforts in the following provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
- We provide solutions to bring all teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Regardless of how many days you decide to visit the office, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 90 days per calendar year.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.
Something looks off?