Project Manager II - Data and Analytics
We acknowledge that Bench is founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
- Reporting to our Manager, Strategy & Support Project Management Office, you’ll have an understanding of agile development methodologies as well as lean project management principles. Since you’ll be deeply embedded in the data and analytics group within Business Operations, you’ll have a technical, data & analytics-savvy, and strategic-thinking background. You’ll be working closely with several high-performing, collaborative, and technical systems and analytics teams as well as stakeholders across Bench and externally. You’ll be an influencer and a key contributor in driving the success & growth of a data-driven organization supporting entrepreneurs.
What you’ll get up to:
- Drive daily work through the data & analytics team by leveraging agile-hybrid ceremonies (Stand Ups, Backlog Grooming, Sprint Planning, etc.) and tools such as Jira to uphold and contribute to the development of Business Operations team ways of working
- Support organizational change management and business transformation projects
- Own and, with minimal supervision, drive communications and collaboration between data & analytics teams and internal stakeholders on strategic projects
- Lead scope development and shape execution of data and analytics projects
- Clarify and document activities on strategic projects impacting Bench’s data environment to build a shared understanding of, and ability to achieve, expected payoffs
- Identify risks and anticipate issues and bring attention and clarity to problems for resolutions and collaboration or awareness for decision-making to PMO
- Collaborate extensively both with cross-functional stakeholders and Business Operations teams leading groups to establish commitments and on-time delivery of all projects
- Provide regular updates and reports using various performance data to maintain awareness and drive improvements in the project for strategic impact
- Support documentation of work completed and manage the location, access, and awareness of documentation for various purposes with stakeholders and within business operations
What you’ll need:
- Experienced project manager - You have 2+ years of experience in a Project Management Office or other project delivery team at a fast moving company on a variety of projects.
- Previous experience OR 5+ years of previous experience either working as a Project Coordinator or Analyst on multiple data-focused projects
- Adaptable project manager - You have a work history that shows you know how to leverage a core skillset to drive action and results on any project. You learn quickly and can thrive in dynamic environments and are not afraid to tackle challenges you’ve never faced before.
- Data & Analytics Awareness - You have experience managing or working on projects involving data governance, major business transformation, or technical debt reduction at a data-driven company.
- End-to-end systems thinking - You have experience transforming business processes alongside systems in an engaging and transparent way that helps others in the business adapt and support the changes.
- Stakeholder management experience - You’ve managed complex multi-stakeholder environments and understand how to get the best out of a group of highly motivated problem solvers and systems thinkers. You lead project teams with a view towards collaboration and delegated decision-making as much as possible.
- First-principles problem solver - You can quickly and effectively conceptualize and problem solve in a complex system of our customers, our colleagues, and our technology stack. You are energized by challenging problems, and are persistent/resourceful in your efforts to solve them
- Driven to make an impact - You are driven to make an impact on the world through your work; at Bench, we choose to do so by reducing the barriers and complexity of entrepreneurship by taking the accounting and financial complexity of the plate of business owners
- Have the startup hustle - You have a strong bias for action. You are highly motivated and comfortable with change and creating clarity where there is ambiguity.
- Familiar with data tech stack and methodologies - SQL, DBT, Tableau, AWS Redshift, ETL pipeline tools
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- PMP certification an asset
- Agile and Scrum Master certification (CSM, DASM, etc)
- Experience working in SaaS or a top management consulting firm
- Experience collaborating with Data Analysts and/or other technical folk on data-focused projects
- Previous hands on experience with the data tech stack and methodologies: SQL, DBT, Tableau, AWS Redshift, ETL pipeline tools
What you’ll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $80,720 - $100,900 per year, depending on experience.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home and in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! For some roles, we do require folks to be in the office regularly. We’ll be sure to outline expectations during the interview process.
- For folks working fully remote, we will provide additional solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Whether you get to use the office or if you work remotely, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 3 months, within a 12 month period.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.
Something looks off?