We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Our mission is to make a profound difference in the quality of life of one million people, by removing the financial complexity of entrepreneurship. Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses.
Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. Learn more about us on our About page.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench!
What does the Data team look like?
At Bench, the Data team encompasses the full gamut of business intelligence and data analytics activities. We are responsible for creating and maintaining the infrastructure that gets analysts and leadership across the company the information they need. We do this by developing and maintaining data pipelines, a data warehouse, and visualization tools, and by leading the adoption of new technology and practices to improve the lives of our data consumers. We also ensure that our data infrastructure is fit-for-purpose by using it ourselves as analysts for our Product team, and by filling any gaps in reporting and analysis that aren’t covered by analysts elsewhere in the company.
What you’ll get up to:
- Listen to requests from analysts or business partners, deeply understand their needs, and translate those needs into requirements for data products
- Write analytic queries that transform raw data from source systems into business facts and metrics
- Review queries, scripts, and visualizations produced by other analysts to ensure consistent accuracy and quality
- Apply software engineering best practices like version control and continuous integration to the analytics code base.
- Produce presentations, dashboards, and self-service tools to make data accessible to and understandable by everyone at Bench
- Participate in planning and prioritization of work to be done by the Data team
- Protect our clients and colleagues by maintaining security and access control over our data
- Learn about emerging or established data technologies and evaluate whether Bench can benefit from their adoption
- SQL expertise: Writing, debugging, and reviewing queries that make heavy use of analytics functionality (complex aggregations, window functions, common table expressions) and that operate on many rows of data is a daily occurrence in this role.
- Data visualization and storytelling: We create value when the things we build are being used. For us, that means translating data into useful insights using a BI tool (eg. Tableau, Power BI), or even an effective graph or dashboard in Excel/Google Sheets.
- Cloud Services: Experience with cloud services used in data analytics, ideally AWS (eg. Redshift, Glue, DMS, Lambda), will enable you to operate at every stage of our data pipeline.
- Proficiency with version control systems: We source-control our analytics code to ensure that metrics are consistent, no matter who pulls the data. Experience using the feature branch Git workflow model will help you understand how logic gets “promoted to production”.
- Technical written and verbal communication: From going deep on technical details with fellow analysts, to explaining results to business partners, to forming recommendations for senior leadership, you possess effective written and verbal communication skills at a wide range of complexity and detail.
- Responsibility and leadership: Our success depends on taking ownership and building trust - both among teammates and with stakeholders. To maintain that trust, we expect each other to make commitments, to keep those commitments, and to hold ourselves to account for those commitments.
- Curiosity, mentorship and a drive to learn: We become better analysts and technologists through continuous learning and by teaching others what we know. Fostering growth is what we do here, in ourselves and in our colleagues. You are as committed to your own growth as that of your team.
Nice to haves:
- Exposure to workflow orchestration tools (eg. Airflow, Prefect, Luigi)
- Experience with dbt Core / Cloud
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Previous experience in SaaS growth, product, or marketing analytics
- Experience with functional scripting languages (e.g. Python, R, JS)
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $109,680 - $137,100 per year, depending on experience.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home and in our downtown office location, depending on your preference!
- For folks working fully remote, we will provide additional solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Whether you get to use the office or if you work remotely, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 3 months, within a 12 month period.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.