Globally, 80% of workers don’t have a desk or an office. These workers are the backbone of the global economy, the people we interact with every day in stores, on buses, in our hospitals, delivering our parcels and maintaining our buildings. The current generation of workplace technology doesn’t fit their needs, Blink enables those people to be productive, informed and engaged while on the move.
We've built a fresh approach to an old problem. Our goal is to be the #1 choice for mobile enterprise, to build the workplace ‘super-app’ that brings together in one place the people and information that matter.
Our award-winning product has industry-leading levels of engagement, with a DAU of 99% – and we've got so much more to achieve. Scalability, automation and precision are at the heart of what we do. We're never shackled down by convention; always open-minded, always moving forward.
With over 100,000 users, and growing daily, and our first ever CTO in place, this is an unparalleled opportunity to be an integral part of a Product and Engineering team building one of the world's most exciting technologies.
💻 What will you be doing?
This role is a key role, as part of our Backend Engineering team, working cross functionally in a squad of engineers and product managers. The role will be fundamental in designing, building, testing and launching new product features that have impact on the day to day lives of frontline workers.
- Define the best technical solutions to user problems, contributing to an architectural vision that will make Blink the world's leading employee application.
- Writing clean, well-documented, testable, maintainable code that is easy to read and modify while rapidly iterating and shipping.
- Collaborate with other backend developers at Blink, help with setting the future direction of our Scala backend and refining our development tooling and processes.
- Debugging, bug fixing and improving application performance.
- Support customer-facing teams by assisting with requests for statistics or data analysis on the back end.
🚀 About you
We're looking for someone who is ambitious and wants to develop in a fast-growing company. The successful candidate will be resourceful, inquisitive and a fast learner. You’ll be able to pick up new concepts quickly and empathise with customer pain points. We’re also looking for someone with the following:
- 4+ years experience working with Scala and/or other JVM languages.
- Passionate about working with globally distributed, scalable systems.
- Experience, or a good understanding of SQL and (relational) database concepts.
- Good understanding of different transport protocols, such as RESTful concepts and web sockets.
- A self-starter, eager to learn and thrive in a high functioning team
- Solution focused, looking to help people and customers in finding solutions to their problems
- A ruthless prioritiser, able to manage multiple projects at any time with strict adherence to deadlines
- Ability to establish and cultivate strong collaborative cross functional level relationships
- An elite communicator, able to influence and motivate stakeholders & strong communication skills (written & verbal) to break down complex concepts in an easy to understand way
- A process improvement mindset, able to identify and implement areas for improvement, particularly in a scaling environment
- Experience working as part of a fast-paced software development team and/or, in the SaaS and/or HR Tech industry, is a bonus
💙 About us
We're a friendly bunch.
Motivated, positive and social; we're all different, but these traits tie us together. We work closely as a team and genuinely value each other's opinions. Most of all, we try and learn as much as we can from one another, through knowledge sharing and healthy debate.
Our diverse backgrounds and interests make our engineering culture unique. We are parents, polyglots (in both spoken and programming languages), cyclists, musicians – and so much more.
💰 What we offer
You will have the opportunity to be part of something impactful, large-scale, and meaningful. Most importantly, you’ll work for a company with a strong purpose, with an ambitious team embarking on a journey most start-ups can only dream of! Benefits include:
- Competitive salary – and equity in the company
- A quirky, spacious, natural light-filled office in London
- 25 days a year off (plus public holidays!)
- Learning & development focus, plus mentorship options. We’ll do everything we can to get you to the top of your game
- Private healthcare, Ride2Work, pension scheme
At Blink, we're committed to creating an inclusive and diverse culture where our people feel they truly belong. We value and respect individual differences, so all applications will receive fair and equal consideration without regard to ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nationality, disability or age