EQUO is a sustainable brand delivering easy solutions for everyday single-use plastic items. First line of products is drinking straws made from grass, rice, coconut and sugarcane that are 100% plastic-free, biodegradable, compostable and non-toxic! Additional categories will include utensils, dishware and stationary. They are easy, no brainer switches so simple, you may not even notice them - even though Mother Nature does. We at EQUO don't force you to use one material which has limitations in colors, size, use or disposability. We don't ask you to learn or change your actions or behavior. We want you to continue going about your day - except in a way that is better for the environment.
EQUO will help solve the problem of millions of tonnes of plastic waste polluting the earth, people annoyed with having to carry around or wash their straws. It will also help Cities/regions having to deal with global government plastic bans, people who want to go green without a compromise to their lifestyle or changing their behavior, those who hate plastic and paper straws (especially ones that go soggy).
We are branding a typically commoditized category to get people to care about something they never thought twice about before. Our foray in to the sustainable industry with EQUO is an attempt to change the way sustainable brands approach consumers, through a welcoming message of “every little action helps”. It's a stark contrast to the all-or-nothing dogma that often repels consumers who are just starting or looking to switch to a greener lifestyle. EQUO's goal is to drive educational awareness about the plastic pollution problem locally in Vietnam and to give people a reason to care about a generally overlooked category by building a bright, attention-grabbing brand. Our aim is to make plastic-alternatives widely available with disposable firstly drinking straws and utensils, in order to force production to slow down and eventually be eliminated altogether for single-use plastics. Approximately 90% of all the plastic produced on the planet is used only once – if the world starts to replace these with sustainable alternatives, these small solutions can have a big impact.
EQUO was started to build a brighter more sustainable future for generations to come, to help create jobs and a sustainable source of income for farmers in Southeast Asia and Vietnam, and to change the perception people may still have about Vietnam as a developing third-world country - elevating the talent and innovation from Vietnam to a world stage, while also changing the planet through sustainable solutions. EQUO helps to address the UN Sustainable Development Goal #12 – ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
Our accomplishments include:
- Running a successful Kickstarter campaign (was fully funded in 3 days and 160% funded overall). We raised $15,000 from 300+ backers.
- Awarded the SME100 Fast Moving Companies in Vietnam award
- Founder has been named Flik's 21 Womxn Entrepreneurs to Watch in 2021
- Founder featured on the January 2021 cover of Women Business Magazine in Vietnam (Nu Doanh Nhan Magazine)
- An Amazon Launchpad featured Women-Owned Business
- Named one of Vegpreneur's 25 Vegan Companies You Need to Know
- First Vietnam-based company to be admitted in to the Techstars Program
- Member of the Plastic Pollution Coalition
- Associated with NGOs including Raising Earth, Skip the Plastic Straw, Hannah4Change, WWF Vietnam