Ruby Platform Engineer
Healthie offers infrastructure for next generation digital health organizations that provide virtual-first care. Our API-first and fully brandable suite of solutions - scheduling software, EMR, coaching tools, and client engagement - enables healthcare builders to launch and scale best-in-class experiences for their members. Our customers include prominent digital health companies that have raised $2B+ in venture capital and range from 5-person startups to multi-billion-dollar companies. In partnership with Healthie, they care for patients across the full spectrum — from preventative health & wellness to complex chronic care management, for millions of patients. Learn more about Healthie at: https://www.gethealthie.com/
The Ruby Platform Engineer role at Healthie
Ruby on Rails powers some of the largest and most influential websites in the world, including Github, Shopify, Airbnb, even Hulu. At Healthie, we’re using Rails and Postgres to upend how digital health is delivered. As a Ruby Platform Engineer, you will be a critical contributor to Healthie’s Web Engineering team. You will be contributing to application performance and security, helping define and implement engineering best practices, and helping to define our technical architecture as we continue to scale. You will be working as an enabler and mentor leveling up product delivery teams. Your projects will range from short one-offs, to multi-month efforts.
The role may also involve projects that have some or all work outside of the app codebase, working with or building tools which enable app stability and security, or support Healthie developers.
This role is an opportunity to develop both very deep expertise in both Ruby and Rails, and a breadth of experience with other infrastructure technologies.
Location: Remote, United States
This is a full-time position
U.S. work authorization is required along with physical location residing within the United States. Healthie does not provide sponsorship.
The salary range for this position is $150,000 - $180,000 USD per year, depending on your prior experience.
- Contribute to application performance and security.
- Collaborate to define our technical architecture as we continue to scale.
- Collaborate on defining and implementing engineering best practices.
- Enable product delivery teams with technical expertise and metric support for both runtime and team performance
- Scope technical investment projects ranging from short one-offs, to multi-month efforts.
- Collaborate with other teams to align technical solutions with project objectives and business goals.
- Drive DevOps practices, promoting collaboration between development and operations teams for continuous improvement.
- Implement security best practices, manage access controls, and ensure compliance with industry standards.
- Lead the design of scalable, reliable, and efficient applications, their interaction with infrastructure, and infrastructure itself.
- Optimize infrastructure for scalability, performance, and security, ensuring seamless handling of increased workloads.
Manage resources in our PAAS and, to a lesser extent, cloud platforms such as AWS, optimizing for performance, security, and efficiency.
- Required: 8+ years recent experience shipping Rails applications to production environments with monolithic, service-oriented, or microservice architectures.
- Best practice experience with coding standards, refactoring, complexity reduction, Domain Driven Design, and schema design.
- Experience using APM tools for solving performance issues such as slow database queries.
- Experience with object oriented design and modularization of monolithic applications.
- Experience maintaining and upgrading Ruby and Rails-based production stacks.
- Ability to prioritize platform needs to both short term and long term business needs.
- Communication skills appropriate for introducing substantial process and workflow changes with a fast moving team.
- Experience in regulated industries such as health care, finance, security, or similar industries subject to compliance constraints is strongly preferred.
- Startup experience is strongly preferred, specifically, experience transitioning between seed stage through Series C.
The ideal candidate will also bring production experience in one or more of the following skills:
- Security & compliance, experience ensuring applications meet the OWASP top ten criteria; collaborating with infosec for various security, compliance, SDLC issues.
- Infrastructure and monitoring, including CI/CD construction and maintenance
- Deep and abiding interest in Ruby or other programming languages, algorithms and data structures, literate programming, or scientific programming.
Expectations for all Engineers at Healthie include:
- Consistently writing well-tested, easily understood, production-ready code that accounts for edge cases and potential errors, preferring self-documenting and well-documented code over ad hoc comments.
- Writing unit and higher level tests to prove happy path behavior, handle expected edge cases and errors gracefully, prevent regressions, and serve as baseline documentation.
- Understanding the business domain at a high level and developing deep expertise in a portion of the business domain.
- Competence and comfort using git with trunk-based development.
- Contributing to continuously improving documentation.
- Maintaining HIPAA and relevant privacy and security compliance.
- Having a strong sense of software stewardship, leveraging small improvements for accumulating net gains.
- Delivering in a remote-first environment.
- Regularly contributing to code review and actively looking for security vulnerabilities.
- Systematically debugging to diagnose customer facing issues in a timely manner.
- Working comfortably with both greenfield and legacy systems on both client side and server side.
- Helping grow a DevOps culture
- Systematically using monitoring and metrics to help improve application performance and engineering processes.
Career Growth Opportunities
Healthie Product and Engineering is growing very rapidly over the next year, and there is tremendous opportunity for personal and professional growth across the entire team.
- Competitive salaries
- Stock options
- Health insurance coverage (medical, dental, vision), Healthie contributes towards premiums for the employee
- Life and disability coverages
- FSA and HSA
- Unlimited vacation time
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Parental leave program
- Learning & development stipends
- Fitness membership budget
- Co-working space budget
- Lunch budget
- New work laptop
- Home office equipment stipend
- Summer Fridays
Healthie participates with e-verify.
Healthie is committed to equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. We're proud to be building a diverse and inclusive environment that encourages collaboration, creativity, and growth. Whatever your background, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.