Senior Software Engineer (Full-Stack)
Healthie offers infrastructure for next generation digital health organizations that provide virtual-first care. Our API-first and fully brandable suite of solutions - scheduling software, EMR, coaching tools, and client engagement - enables healthcare builders to launch and scale best-in-class experiences for their members. Our customers include prominent digital health companies that have raised $2B+ in venture capital and range from 5-person startups to multi-billion-dollar companies. In partnership with Healthie, they care for patients across the full spectrum — from preventative health & wellness to complex chronic care management, for millions of patients. Learn more about Healthie at: https://www.gethealthie.com/
The Senior Software Engineer will be a central part of the web engineering team. You'll help with design and implementing the software for new features and extending existing features. At the Senior Software Engineer level and above, you'll also be occasionally depended on to work with production systems, (we use a PAAS and our overall architecture is mostly a monolith, so there are no complicated devops needs.) Our stack includes Rails, React, Typescript, and GraphQL. Some of the other technologies we use are Postgres, Redis, Sidekiq, RSpec, and Capybara.
We have a friendly, educational code review process, where code is reviewed by both managers and peers. We use a kanban-like workflow, where work begins life in a spec review process and then continues down the roadmap through implementation, review, QA, and deployment. The process allows for feedback and input from engineers every step of the way. Our product team is always responsive to ideas and feedback from the engineering team. The two teams collaborate to produce a steady stream of well specified, reasonably scoped product changes that are a joy to implement and never result in redundant effort. Our team is collaborative, smart, and diverse.
Location: Remote, United States with preference for candidates located in Los Angeles or NYC that are interested in a hybrid schedule
This is a full-time position
U.S. work authorization is required along with physical location residing within the United States. Healthie does not provide sponsorship.
We are currently hiring multiple individuals for this position.
The base salary for this role is $130,000 to $170,000 per year.
The Senior Software Engineer will have 6 or more years of overall experience delivering web applications.
On the back end, we are looking for candidates with production experience in Ruby on Rails. Experience with the fundamentals of application performance and microservices are a plus.
Our ideal candidate will bring at least one of the following ancillary skills:
- Infrastructure and monitoring, including CI/CD construction and maintenance, hands-on experience with AWS (preferred) or GCP, experience with IAAS technologies such as terraform (preferred), k8s, puppet, chef, ansible and the like
- Application architecture and performance, including solving database query problems, application performance monitoring, object oriented design, modularization of monolithic applications, and domain driven design
Further expectations include:
- Consistently writing well-tested, easily understood, production-ready code that accounts for edge cases and potential errors, preferring self-documenting and well-documented code over ad hoc comments
- Writing unit and higher level tests to prove happy path behavior, handle expected edge cases and errors gracefully, prevent regressions, and serve as baseline documentation
- Understanding the business domain at a high level and developing deep expertise in a portion of the business domain
- Competence and comfort using git with trunk-based development
- Contributing to continuously improving documentation
- Maintaining HIPAA and relevant privacy and security compliance
- Having a strong sense of software stewardship, leveraging small improvements for accumulating net gains
- An ability to deliver in a remote-first environment with a kanban process
- Regularly contributing to code review and actively looking for security vulnerabilities
- Systematically debugging to diagnose customer facing issues in a timely manner
- Working comfortably with both greenfield and legacy systems on both client side and server side
- Comfort helping grow a DevOps culture
- Systematically using monitoring and metrics to help improve application performance and engineering processes
Nice to have:
- Startup experience is a plus
- Healthcare or similar experience with compliance requirements preferred
Career Growth Opportunities
Healthie Product and Engineering is growing very rapidly over the next year, and there is tremendous opportunity for personal and professional growth across the entire team.
Healthie offers a full slate of benefits including competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverages, FSA, HSA, flexible vacation, a 401(k) plan with company matching, and a parental leave program. We also offer some not-so-standard benefits, including learning & development stipends, nutritional coaching, fitness membership budget, co-working subscriptions, a laptop plus equipment stipend, and Summer Fridays.
Round 1: Preliminary Interview
Round 2: Hiring Manager Interview
Take Home Assignment (if applicable)
Round 3: Behavioral + Technical Interviews
Round 4: Executive Interview
Healthie participates in E-Verify.
Healthie is committed to equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. We're proud to be building a diverse and inclusive environment that encourages collaboration, creativity, and growth. Whatever your background, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.