Spacecraft Structures Engineer
In Orbit Aerospace
In Orbit was founded to enable large-scale orbital research and manufacturing. Today, In Orbit is developing the next-generation of autonomous spacecraft for on-orbit operations and return of cargo from space back down to Earth.
In Orbit is looking for a Spacecraft Structures Engineer eager to join a diverse and dynamic team developing cutting-edge space vehicles enabling microgravity research, manufacturing, and re-entry for a new orbital economy.
As a Spacecraft Structures Engineer at In Orbit you will work on the design, simulation, and verification of our vehicles that go to space and come back. Your efforts will directly contribute to large and small details of our space vehicles alike. The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong intuition on structural limitations as well as a responsible, meticulous mindset.
- Perform hand-calculations and Finite-Element Analysis (FEA) of launch and re-entry environments on designed structures
- Generate test plans and reports to verify launch and re-entry requirements
- Support Primary and Secondary structure design and development for spacecraft and re-entry vehicles
- Be the point of contact for environmental testing (thermal, vacuum, vibrational, etc.)
- Work closely with other subsystem engineers on hardware integration and manufacturing
- Support manufacturing, testing, day-of-launch activities, and on-orbit operations
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or physics
- Proficient in a CAD Software such as Solidworks, CATIA, or Siemens NX
- Experience developing Finite Element Models from CAD geometry
- Experience performing structural and finite element analyses
- Able to independently identify and resolve complex problems using applied mechanical theory and seeking outside help as required
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field
- 2+ years of experience working on structural design and analysis of space vehicles
- Knowledge of composites manufacturing and performing FEA on composite structures
- Experience using design for manufacturing methodologies
- Hands-on experience prototyping hardware with 3d-printers, hand, and power-tools
- Willing to work extended hours as needed
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- This is an on-site position at our Torrance, CA facility
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Something looks off?