Software Engineer - Power Systems
About Latimer Controls
Latimer Controls is an early-stage energy-tech startup based in Denver, CO. We are focused on developing control systems for electric utilities that allow them to utilize their large-scale solar assets flexibly. Born from research at NREL, our team is committed to solving technically intensive problems in the energy space. As a Techstars portfolio company and DOE American Made Solar Prize Round 6 champion, we have garnered recognition for our groundbreaking work in the solar energy sector.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to join our tight-knit team of three founders. The ideal candidate will bring a wealth of experience in developing high quality, production-ready software that integrates advanced mathematical concepts born from research-level code. As a pivotal member of our engineering team, you will play a crucial role in further advancing our products's capabilities, ensuring its adaptability to evolving industry trends, and contributing to the success of our innovative projects.
- Collaborate with the founders and cross-functional teams to design, develop, and maintain software solutions for utility-scale solar PV systems.
- Enable the integration of our software with Schweitzer RTAC and SCADA systems through iterative development and testing that will be deployed in lab and live solar plant environments.
- Work closely with data scientists and machine learning engineers to implement advanced algorithms for real-time data analysis and optimization.
- Develop, test, and deploy software updates, ensuring robust performance and reliability even in complex operating conditions.
- Lead code reviews, quality assurance, and documentation efforts to maintain high software standards.
- Stay abreast of industry developments, best practices, and emerging technologies to drive continuous improvement and innovation within our software solutions.
- Collaborate with external partners, including utilities and research organizations, to understand their specific requirements and tailor our software accordingly.
- Actively contribute to the growth and knowledge-sharing culture within our startup environment.
- Willingness and ability to become a product and team leader within our technical developments as we expand our team and manage technical due diligence for our customers.
- Bachelor's, Master’s, or PhD degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience as a software engineer deploying early stage mathematical software to deployment-ready professional code,
- A minimum of 3 years work experience with the SEL RTAC hardware system.
- Strong programming skills in languages such as Python, Matlab, C/C++, and/or Rust, with a focus on development software with controls and/or machine learning application in IEC structured text.
- Familiarity with machine learning models including deep neural networks, RNNs, LSTMs, and reinforcement learning.
- Familiarity with time-series modeling and predictive analytics.
- Familiarity with industrial communication protocols, including ModBus or DNP3, is highly desirable.
- Prior experience or background knowledge in the electric utility sector or a related field is advantageous.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced startup environment, taking initiative and adapting to evolving project requirements.
- Excellent problem solving skills, attention to detail, and a passion for clean energy solutions!
Why Join Us?
- Opportunity to make a significant impact in the renewable energy sector and contribute to a sustainable future by solving one of the primary unsolved issues with operating a 100% renewable power grid.
- Work alongside a team of visionary founders, technical advisors that are renowned global leaders in the field, and customer profiles with large energy footprints.
- Competitive salary and equity in our growing startup.
- Access to cutting-edge technology and a supportive work environment that fosters innovation.
- Opportunities for career growth and professional development as we expand.
Expected Compensation: $100,000 - $150,000/yr (with equity).