At Lifebit, we carve our own path. Trusted by Governments and world-leading pharma institutions and funded with over $60m, we are on a mission to harness the power of connected data and bring precision medicine to life globally. The key to saving human lives is providing researchers across the globe with the right data to develop more precise drugs faster.
Generating large amounts of biomedical data has become relatively straightforward. The challenge now is finding, accessing and analysing this sensitive data stored across thousands of disconnected locations. It is frustrating and painfully difficult for researchers.
Lifebit has created a patented, federated technology that brings analysis and computation to where data resides. This enables researchers to run analyses on multiple, distributed datasets in-situ, avoiding the risky movement of highly-sensitive data.
Lifebit powers pioneers in national precision medicine such as Genomics England (UK Government) and guides them on how to make their valuable data usable securely. Biotech and pharma leaders like Boehringer Ingelheim turn to Lifebit to connect them to this otherwise locked up data to obtain novel therapeutic insights.
Our technology is unmatched and momentum is on our side - but we need an exceptionally strong team to help boost Lifebit to incredible new heights.
Our engineering and research team is composed of a mix of software, and bioinformatics, engineers split between Lisbon and London. Software engineers don’t need any prior knowledge or experience in bioinformatics, we solve problems differently to the industry’s standards and favor creative problem-solving.
The different teams’ stack includes:
- Backend: NodeJS, TypeScript, MongoDB
- Infrastructure: Terraform, Docker, AWS, GCP
- Frontend: React-Redux
- Machine Learning: Python, Pandas, Sklearn, Tensorflow
- Bioinformatics: Nextflow, Conda, Python, R, Bash, Docker, Singularity
As a DevOps Engineer in our team, you will take ownership of:
- Creating automated deployment pipelines to generate infrastructure
- Improving existing pipelines and processes
- Improving our infrastructure performance and efficiency (in addition to ongoing maintenance and support)
- Supporting customer infrastructure setups
- Building monitoring and orchestrating solutions for deployments and upgrades
- Managing and supporting deployments and monitoring for customer delivery
- Delivering best practices guidance and support for managing architecture
- Facilitating upgrades, patches, and maintenance of deployments
- Creating and maintaining documentation and best practices
- Providing internal support and guidance to engineering teams
The role requirements below are just an indication of what we’re looking for - sometimes the perfect candidate is far more or less experienced than we anticipated. If you think that might be your case, please reach out and let us know! You should have demonstrable knowledge and experience in building and maintaining scalable infrastructure in the cloud, specifically:
- Strong knowledge of Linux environments
- Experience provisioning infrastructure as code i.e. Terraform, Ansible, etc
- Experience building and managing containers with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience in cloud environments i.e. AWS, Google Cloud Platform Azure
- Experience in monitoring systems i.e. Datadog, Prometheus
- Experience on using and managing CI/CD systems i.e. Github Actions, Gitlab CI
- Scripting experience in Bash, Python/NodeJS
- Fluency in English
- Ability to work in a fast-growth startup
Added value requirements:
- Experience managing NoSQL and Relational DBs
- Experience managing Hadoop infrastructure
- Experience with log centralized systems
- Knowledge of cloud network architecture and security
- Experience managing high scalable services
- Competitive salary
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Monthly team activities
- £1,000 a year personal development budget for conferences, events, subscriptions, books, coaching sessions, training courses etc.
- An international and diverse team
- Exposure to problems and applications in the cloud, data analysis, ML, life sciences, and big data fields
- Flexible working during summer
Lifebit is on the cutting edge of the biotechnology revolution.
Please check out some of the open-source projects our team has worked on:
YLOViZ Online: https://github.com/bfrgoncalves/Online-PhyloViZ
“Best open-source tech stack you’ll find! We’re collaborating every day with the most pioneering organizations on the planet, the smartest people who are leading and redefining bioinformatics. I could not imagine being anywhere else.” ~Dr. Claire-Alix Zapata, Head of Scientific Content, Lifebit
“Our leadership team lives and breathes our mission. Nowhere else can you be part of the decision making process on DAY ONE. Extreme ownership!” ~ Filippo Abbondanza, Bioinformatic Solution Architect, Lifebit
Here’s your chance to lead, to design, to own. To create.
Get in touch.