DevOps Engineer (Portugal)
At Lifebit, we carve our own path. Trusted by Governments and world-leading pharma institutions and funded with a over $70m we are on a mission to harness the power of connected data and bring precision medicine to life globally. The key to saving human lives is providing researchers across the globe with the right data to develop more precise drugs faster.
Generating large amounts of biomedical data has become relatively straightforward. The challenge now is finding, accessing and analysing this sensitive data stored across thousands of disconnected locations. It is frustrating and painfully difficult for researchers.
Lifebit has created a patented, federated technology that brings analysis and computation to where data resides. This enables researchers to run analyses on multiple, distributed datasets in-situ, avoiding the risky movement of highly-sensitive data.
Lifebit powers pioneers in national precision medicine such as Genomics England (UK Government) and the Hong Kong Genome Project and guides them on how to make their valuable data usable securely. Biotech and pharma leaders like Boehringer Ingelheim turn to Lifebit to connect them to this otherwise locked up data to obtain novel therapeutic insights.
Our technology is unmatched and momentum is on our side - but we need an exceptionally strong team to help boost Lifebit to incredible new heights.
Our engineering and research team is composed of a mix of software, and bioinformatics, engineers split between Lisbon and London. Software engineers don’t need any prior knowledge or experience in bioinformatics, we solve problems differently to the industry’s standards and favor creative problem-solving.
The different teams’ stack includes:
- Backend: NodeJS, TypeScript, MongoDB
- Infrastructure: Terraform, Docker, AWS, GCP
- Frontend: React-Redux
- Machine Learning: Python, Pandas, Sklearn, Tensorflow
- Bioinformatics: Nextflow, Conda, Python, R, Bash, Docker, Singularity
As a DevOps Engineer in our team, you will take ownership of:
- Creating automated deployment pipelines to generate infrastructure
- Improving existing pipelines and processes
- Improving our infrastructure performance and efficiency (in addition to ongoing maintenance and support)
- Supporting customer infrastructure setups
- Building monitoring and orchestrating solutions for deployments and upgrades
- Managing and supporting deployments and monitoring for customer delivery
- Delivering best practices guidance and support for managing architecture
- Facilitating upgrades, patches, and maintenance of deployments
- Creating and maintaining documentation and best practices
- Providing internal support and guidance to engineering teams
The role requirements below are just an indication of what we’re looking for - sometimes the perfect candidate is far more or less experienced than we anticipated. If you think that might be your case, please reach out and let us know!
You should have demonstrable knowledge and experience in building and maintaining scalable infrastructure in the cloud, specifically:
- Minimum 3 years of experience designing, building, testing, and maintaining software services
- Strong knowledge of Linux environments
- Experience building and managing containers, especially Docker
- Experience in cloud environments i.e. AWS, Google Cloud Platform Azure, OpenStack
- Experience in IT automation engines i.e. Terraform, Ansible, Chef, etc
- Experience in monitoring systems i.e. Datadog, New Relic, Prometheus
- Scripting experience in Bash, Python/NodeJS
- Fluency in English
- Ability to work in a fast-growth startup
Added value requirements:
- Experience managing NoSQL DBs
- Experience managing Hadoop infrastructure
- Experience with log centralized systems
- Kubernetes knowledge
- Knowledge of cloud network architecture and security
- Experience in putting in place secure and scalable infrastructure that can support thousands of services is a plus
- Competitive salary
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Monthly team activities
- Conferences, events, and training resources (Data science, AI, cloud, any tech stack, painting, origami, you pick!) - we offer €1,000 a year to each person for personal development)
- An international and diverse team
- Exposure to problems and applications in the cloud, data analysis, ML, life sciences, and big data fields
- Flexible working during summer
Lifebit is on the cutting edge of the biotechnology revolution.
In April 2020, we closed our Series A funding round with tremendous support from new and existing investors. With offices in London and Lisbon, Lifebit is a diverse team spanning Europe and North America, with each person empowered and involved in every aspect of the business.
Please check out some of the open-source projects our team has worked on:
YLOViZ Online: https://github.com/bfrgoncalves/Online-PhyloViZ
“Best open-source tech stack you’ll find! We’re collaborating every day with the most pioneering organizations on the planet, the smartest people who are leading and redefining bioinformatics. I could not imagine being anywhere else.” ~Dr. Claire-Alix Zapata, Head of Scientific Content, Lifebit
“Our leadership team lives and breathes our mission. Nowhere else can you be part of the decision making process on DAY ONE. Extreme ownership!” ~ Filippo Abbondanza, Bioinformatic Solution Architect, Lifebit
Here’s your chance to lead, to design, to own. To create.
Get in touch.
Please note - Keeping safe and healthy in the workplace is important at any time, but even more so in times like these. Therefore due to Covid-19 all staff members are now working remotely until further notice. Our hiring process is no exception - to protect you, our hiring team and others around, we will be arranging remote interviews with the successful candidates