As Engineering Manager, you will…
You will be responsible for leading a team of engineers to deliver high-quality, innovative software solutions that support our mission of revolutionizing the insurance industry. You will be a key member of our leadership team, working closely with the CEO and other department heads to set the strategic direction of the company and ensure that our technology stays at the forefront of the insurtech space. You will provide sound technical leadership in all aspects of our business. That includes:
- Develop technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals.
- Supervise system infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency.
- Build quality assurance and data protection processes.
- Monitor KPIs and IT budgets to assess technological performance.
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform necessary improvements and adjustments to technology.
- Communicate technology strategy to partners and investors.
You are a seasoned engineering leader with a proven track record of building and managing high-performing teams. You don’t have necessarily experience in the insurtech or fintech industry, but you are comfortable working in a fast-paced, startup environment.
Your (unique) skills and qualifications
- Strong leadership experience with a track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams.
- Strong technical skills and the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- -trong problem-solving skills and the ability to think strategically.
- Experience with agile software development methodologies.
- You speak English fluently.
That little extra we will value
- Experience in the insurtech or fintech industry.
How a normal day will look like
- Collaborating with the CEO and other department heads to set the strategic direction of the company.
- Managing and mentoring your team members, coach them while overseeing team’s OKR’s and technological performance.
- Continuously improve, implement and advocate the use of standard processes and ways of working across teams.
- Participate punctually in meetings for: 1) design and planning for new features where engineering is expected to have an input; 2) company’s strategic goals and/or performance assessment.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the insurtech industry.
Your future manager
Your future manager will be João Cardoso, Lovys CEO.
It was with the ambition of “changing the consumer experience in insurance” that he created the company in 2017. Until then he had already created 2 other startups in Brazil: TaCerto, an insurance comparison site that is today the market leader in its sector, having reached a monthly turnover of 1M$ within the first 2 years.
The second startup, VisionX, is a platform that allows Brazilian real estate agencies to market insurance proposed by insurers. João started his career in London, at Morgan Stanley. He was born in Leiria (Portugal).
Fun facts about him
João has lived in 7 different countries and he speaks fluently 4 languages. He created the first comparison website for insurance products in Brazil.
What you can expect
- The position is based in Porto, in the iconic Rua do Bolhão.
- The opportunity to be a key member of a leadership team that is revolutionizing the insurance industry.
- A fast-paced, startup environment where you will have the opportunity to make a real impact.
- Compensation and benefits package aligned with your experience, starting at €60k/y but not limited to that value.
- Hybrid policy: you are expected to go to the office often as a culture promoter and a go-to-person for the engineering team.
- Meal card, additional to your gross salary (this is mandatory in Portugal, for full disclosure).
- Tons of ownership: we love to set up goals and directions, respecting individual approaches.
- Full operational support from our team if you need to relocate.
Our hiring process
You can expect 3 to 5 interviews, depending on the several variables of the recruitment process (ex. we tend to do more interviews if we feel the candidate had not had the right opportunities to show a specific skill set). A case study is also included in the process.
30-45 min video call with HR
We try to get to know your past experiences, while assessing your motivation and cultural fit with the company. Bring questions about Lovys as a whole and the way we work.
45-60 min video call with your future manager
We assess your past experiences from a more technical standpoint. You are expected to share concrete results and dive into more detail.
A remote exercise
Expect an exercise remarkably similar to what you would be doing if hired. This is also meant to give you a glimpse of how you would be spending your time with us.
Video calls or onsite interviews with future team members
It is meant to bring a new perspective to the table.
A final /confirmation video call with a Lovys C-Level
It may happen or not depending on how homogeneous is the feedback from different peers.
- You don't like insurance?
- That's good, neither do we. That's why we created Lovys.
- Lovys is the first all-in-one 100% digital insurance.
In concrete terms: we offer a monthly insurance subscription as an alternative to old contracts. The difference? In addition to a 100% digital experience, the customer can change or cancel her/his subscription at any time, but also customize it according to his needs. Lovys is a technology company for insurance, founded in 2017 in the heart of Paris, France. We are a team of over 15 nationalities, working from 3 different countries (France, Portugal and Spain). We are already one of the biggest insurtechs in France and Europe. We have raised +25M€ over time and we are committed to creating something different in a very traditional industry.
1. We before me || We do not want to be individually right, we want to be collectively successful.
2. Empowerment over criticism || We treat others for who they could become, rather than for who they are.
3. Learning then obsessing || We scratch, then we drill. We listen, then we execute. We are good, then we are excellent.
Something looks off?