Company & Role Overview
Using satellite-based ultra low frequency radar, Lunasonde makes the underground world visible, fundamentally transforming our understanding of planet earth. We have built a system that allows us to find the resources our planet needs more efficiently and effectively than anyone else can. We’re pioneering subsurface imaging while providing a sustainable approach to resource exploration.
We’re looking for a Spacecraft/Radar Engineer to help build the satellites that will power our company! You’ll be directly working on our novel satellites, building spaceworthy hardware and software that will collect the first ever images of the deep subsurface. This role will have a particular focus on command, control, and data handling (CC&DH), telemetry tracking and command (TT&C), and electrical power subsystems (EPS).
Lunasonde is a small, venture-backed startup, but we’ll be growing significantly over the next few months. This role is a great opportunity for someone looking to join an early-stage company on the verge of launching a revolutionary, disruptive technology. We’re looking for someone who has prior spacecraft engineering experience, is willing to continuously learn and improve, and wants to make a difference through their work.
Our office is in the Catalina Foothills of Tucson, Arizona. You’ll need to be in the office during satellite building and testing, but otherwise you’re free to work from wherever you’d like. Our current team is diverse, and we intend to continue building a diverse workforce as an equal opportunity employer.
Required Skills & Competencies
• Prior experience with satellite CC&DH, TT&C, and EPS subsystems
• Prior experience working with CubeSats or other microsatellites
• Embedded system experience, both hardware and software
• Knowledge of modern analog and digital electronics
• Familiarity with oscilloscopes, signal generators, and other test equipment
• Extensive knowledge of analog-to-digital conversion theory and systems
• PCB fabrication and soldering skills
• Experience writing software for microcontrollers and FPGAs including Xilinx SoCs and Digilent systems
• Familiarity with I2C, SPI, USB, and other interfacing protocols
• Experience working with complex board designs/systems in a hardware R&D lab environment
Desired Skills & Competencies
• Prior work experience in a startup, especially a space startup
• Python, C/C++, and MATLAB experience
• Experience with modeling radar and lidar performance
• Knowledge of and experience with radar calibration
• Experience in high fidelity satellite orbital and astronautical modeling
• Knowledge of spacecraft guidance, navigation, and control hardware and software
• Knowledge of estimation theory (Kalman Filtering, Least Squares, etc.)
• Prior experience with AGI STK software
• Knowledge of digital signal processing, especially with radar technology
• Experience testing radar
• Experience working with General Purpose GPU computing, particularly Nvidia systems
• Experience working with voxels, 3D visualizations, and point clouds
To conform with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.