What you’ll do:
- Work with a motivated team of internal stakeholders (foresters, GIS analysts, biometricians, project managers) and regional consulting foresters to plan and execute forest carbon reforestation projects on post-catastrophic wildfire lands.
- Perform site assessments using aerial imagery, pre-fire inventories, public databases, and on the ground data collection methods using automated data collection tools for data management and analysis.
- Write forest regeneration prescriptions for forest types throughout the intermountain west, taking into consideration long term survival under changing climatic conditions.
- Perform operational-level training and supervision of contractors and their crews, including as related to site assessment, vegetation management, treeplanting, forest surveying, and cone collections.
- Source forest management contractors and their crews, including the planning and overseeing of hiring events.
- Handle contractor relations including contract signing, pre-work meetings, safety, scheduling, oversight, and administrative functions like invoicing.
- Interface with landowners on operational issues as they relate to project implementation.
- Plan and direct forest surveys and related studies and prepare reports and recommendations.
- Monitor contract compliance and results of forestry activities to assure adherence to Mast's specifications, and state and federal laws.
- Make frequent visits to project sites across Western North America.
What you will bring:
- A completed undergraduate degree in forestry, environmental science, or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience as a practicing field operations forester.
- Operational experience with site assessments necessary for artificial regeneration and/or restoration of forested ecosystems.
- Operational experience of silviculture practices in one or more Western North America forest types.
- Comfort with sourcing and organizing forest management crews.
- Understanding of silviculture and forest mensuration.
- Prior experience in post-fire forest management, and ideally regeneration.
- A technical understanding of site planning, site preparation and civil engineering for forest operations.
- Physical capability to work in forested environments and adverse terrain in all weather conditions.
- Operational experience with GIS.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The ability to embrace change and modify behavior and plans to effectively achieve goals. Self-motivation, adaptability, flexibility, and change agility are necessary.
Other preferred qualifications:
- M.Sc. or equivalent experience in the realm of applied forestry, forest ecology, or wildland management
- Licensed Registered Professional Forester or equivalent certification or expertise in California, Oregon, and/or Washington state is preferred, but not required
- A functional understanding of the influences of climate change upon long term forest health and management, seedling viability, and conifer species migration
- A functional understanding of the influences of wildfire upon forest ecosystems
- A functional understanding of seed procurement and processing and nursery seedling production
- A functional understanding of seed biology and seedling ecophysiology
- Proficiency in Spanish language