Staff Software Engineer
Nautilus is building artificial intelligence to advance the efficiency of ocean commerce. We deliver technology to help shipping companies minimize fuel consumption, maximize operational efficiency, and optimize fleet performance. By arming ship owners and operators with real-time predictive decision support, Nautilus is reducing greenhouse gas emissions and making global trade sustainable.
Ocean shipping consumes over $100 billion dollars of fuel every year, and up to 30% of it can be saved. For owner-operators, reliance on manually collected and analyzed data makes it difficult to optimize fleet performance in real-time. By providing a unified data platform that leverages machine learning, Nautilus helps its clients make better decisions to maximize the return on each ship and every voyage. For our clients, this means they drive closer collaboration, greater transparency, and stronger accountability across their global teams every day.
We are hiring for Staff Software Engineers to join our engineering team. We use Python, Go and ReactJs/Redux running in Docker on AWS but we are most interested in someone who can mentor teams with technical expertise across multiple domains. Ideal candidates should want to make an impact, are mission-driven, customer focused, and enjoy working with other engineers as a multiplier to solve technically challenging problems.
Outcomes for this role.
- Contributing and championing new ideas derived from your unique experiences to improve the quality of our software, enabling us to move faster and iteratively
- Leveling up our engineering department through influence and coaching
- Lead long term technical vision and roadmap that aligns with business objectives
- Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Being challenged by your colleagues and learning something new every day
- 10+ years work experience on a software team
- 5+ years of experience testing, and launching software products, and 3+ years of experience with software design and architecture.
- Solid development experience, preferably with experience in python, node.js
- Experience with a statically typed language like Go, Scala, C++, or Java
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to take ownership of a large software project
- Ability to balance stress, effort, and reward
- BS in Computer Science, similar field of study or equivalent practical experience required.
Our core values.
Get ready to join a group of diverse, smart, talented, and driven individuals. We are looking for people who are motivated by environmentalism and a future where shipping is sustainable and safe. A team member joining Nautilus is...
- We’re THOUGHTFUL, with a bias towards action.
- We’re an INCLUSIVE crew, and we are not passengers along for the ride.
- We’re DIRECT and we ask the tough questions.
- We EMPATHIZE with humanity.
Location - Remote US
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pay: Commensurate with experience and based on location (base $160k-$210k + equity)