Senior Data Architect
Starting with credit, NIRA aspires to be the pre-eminent financial brand for the mass market or "Middle India". We already have customers in over 5,000 towns and cities, and we're growing quickly (15% MoM for the last 20 months!). It's a very exciting time to join us. We have over 300+ employees.
Today, we receive 15000 new loan applications daily from across 4000 cities in India, and we are growing 15% MoM. People reach us at their time of need; we score and offer them credit via our app. Money reaches their bank account within 24 hrs of applying.
We are addressing head-on a big challenge. It's also a great opportunity from both a commercial and societal impact perspective. We can improve lives for millions. It is no exaggeration to say that our addressable market will be 400mm within 5 years.
If our mission resonates with you, and you are a talented and hardworking individual that wants to commit yourself to an incredible challenge, then we want to hear from you.
As one of the senior data Engineer/Architect on the team, you’ll be working on our core data platform and infrastructure powering business workflows, decisions and data science workloads.
You will be responsible for architecting and scaling our data infrastructure. This includes our transactional and analytical databases, with focus on solving for scale and intelligence. As an organization we pride ourselves in our iterative muscle that runs on the fast data feedback loop inherent to the business. Your work will be a key enabler of this muscle, and you’ll mentor the younger engineers towards that objective. Ideal candidates must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate enjoys mentoring, breaks down herculean tasks into small scalable wins and will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture.
In this role, you will work directly with the founders and share the responsibility for driving the data strategy while aligning with the short and long term goals of the business.
Roles & Responsibilities
* Evaluate our existing data model in production and its suitability for upcoming scale and business goals
* Include decision model training and deployment in consideration when performing the above
* With existing team, plan controlled migrations from existing to new data model (if required)
* Mentor SSEs in the team to become better data oriented engineers; provide feedback on their design notes for their jira(s) in the sprint
* Evaluate and improve our infrastructure for training and deploying decision models
* Develop continuous knowledge about the business by staying in touch with the various stakeholders
* Look for and minimise wastage in infrastructure cost
Skills & Qualifications
* Exceptional expertise in building data systems
* 5+ experience designing and building data infrastructure of a fast scaling B2C product
* 5++ experience working on data systems supporting business analytics and/or ML model training
* Experience working with Open Source Big Data tools (Parquet, Spark, Hadoop, Presto)
* 5y+ experience mentoring younger engineers
* Experience in python 3.x is highly preferred
* Excited about the prospect of using technology to make finance better!
Our Tech Stack
The primary interface for our ~200k daily active users is our Android app written in Java. On the backend we have 100+ microservices with serverless deployment that handle the entire user services and workflow management from onboarding, data collection, decision engine, document processing, disbursals and collections. This is complemented with an internal nodeJS application for Operations workflow management. Our data science modules & decision engines are written in Python and deployed over serverless architecture as well. We have dynamoDB as our primary database, and AWS Glue based ETL architecture for our secondary database. Querying on the secondary database is via Athena.
If you are interested to talk more about what we are building and what role you could play, please get in touch.