We’re a team of believers. We believe that humanity can stop and even reverse climate change by removing over 1 trillion tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. How do we get people to remove that much carbon at scale? Pay them! Nori’s marketplace is the infrastructure that creates the financial incentive for people and companies to remove massive amounts of CO2 from the air.
We are a venture-backed and values focused company, caring deeply about people and our planet. Our team is made of a diverse set of people with complementing skill-sets, all unified on the mission to address the climate crisis by enabling global CO2 removal.
We strongly suggest that you read in detail about our company values and mission at https://nori.com/careers.
Nori is a growing business in a rapidly developing industry, and as such it is critical to be able to make key decisions correctly and decisively.
As a data engineer at Nori, your primary goal will be to empower operations and analysis teams with the data they need to inform these decisions by providing trustworthy & timely datasets. This task will require a significant amount of technical skill and collaboration, participating in sessions with business users to better understand their goals and requirements, as well as working with Nori's four engineers to discern how to map data from its sources into valuable deliverables. You will also work closely with the platform team lead to help define patterns and design features.
The contributions you make in this role will help shape Nori's analytics practices and execution strategy for years to come.
You’ll Be Responsible For:
- Collaborating with operational teams to design data models optimized for analytical purposes
- Systematically evaluating data assumptions with subject matter experts across the company
- Implementing performant data transformation pipelines to populate analytical models
- Configuring ingestion pipelines to capture data from various internal and external tools
- Automation of orchestration and monitoring for Nori’s data processes
- Recommending best practices and standards for Nori’s data platform
- Contributing to design discussions with the broader engineering team around data heavy feature work
The First Few Months:
In the first few months of this role, you will ramp up on Nori’s existing analytics tools and practices, and begin building an understanding of the data captured within Nori’s solutions today. During this time, you will also work with the platform team to assist in breaking down and evaluating different analytics use cases. Once you have the necessary context, you will begin taking the lead on specific use cases, designing target data models to serve analytics needs, and implementing data pipelines to bridge the gap between source and target.
Key Challenges in the Role:
- Building a data platform foundation that will support a growing business as it scales
- Facilitating compromises between data producers and consumers to reach workable designs that serve overall business value
- Identifying data gaps or inconsistencies, and determining the best solutions for rectifying them
- Managing the quality and veracity of produced datasets
- Providing reasonable estimations of time required to address different analytics use cases
- Operating effectively in a startup environment, where priorities may change quickly and there is often a high degree of ambiguity
- 3+ years experience designing and implementing batch, micro-batch, or streaming ELT / ETL pipelines
- Ability to design data models that are optimized for different consumption patterns
- Experience working with data warehouse tooling, including the ability to write performant and cost effective SQL queries
- Demonstrated experience working with scripting languages such as python
- Ability to identify and communicate technical risks to audiences with less technical experience
- Interest working in a collaborative environment with cross-functional teams
- Willingness to embrace tasks outside of your immediate area of expertise to help the larger team find success
- Experience working with one of the major Cloud platforms (GCP preferred)
- Experience configuring ingestion pipelines from a variety of different sources (flat files, relational / no-sql databases, rest APIs, etc)
- Experience with dbt or other SQL based ETL/ELT tooling
- Interest in configuring data visualizations and dashboards
- Experience developing or maintaining continuous integration & deployment pipelines
- Experience working with Jira or a similar project management tool
- Prior experience working in Fintech, Climate, or AgTech industries
The pay range for this position is: $107,500-$130,000, and includes generous benefits.
This is a hybrid position located in Seattle with the requirement to be in-office 3 days a week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays).
We do not offer visa support or sponsorship.