(Senior) Legal Counsel - B2B SaaS (part-time)
Oper is the leading cloud-based digital mortgage software provider. Founded in 2018, Oper’s mission is to enable a world-class mortgage experience for borrowers and lenders.
Oper delivers a cutting-edge solution to lenders and mortgage intermediaries that works across multiple markets, enabling digital-first distribution and high-touch engagement with homebuyers with a seamless process from contact to contract. Today, we operate in 5 EU countries working for a dozen lenders and mortgage broker groups.
Our early traction has attracted top industry investors, including Bessemer Venture Partners, ABN Amro Ventures, Constructive Fund, Verve Ventures, and Pitchdrive, and earned us recognition with top fintech accelerators: Barclays Techstars, Plug and Play, and F10 Fintech Accelerator.
The Oper team operates throughout Europe, with over 21 nationalities and two main physical offices in Zürich and Brussels.
As the General Counsel, you will serve as the primary legal advisor to our management team, offering guidance on a diverse range of contractual, commercial, and legal issues.
More concretely, your tasks will involve:
- Advising and supporting internal stakeholders, such as the management, sales and project execution teams on a wide variety of contractual, commercial and legal matters.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts, including SaaS and technology licensing, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Advising on data privacy and security matters, ensuring compliance with relevant data protection laws. Assisting in the development and implementation of data protection policies.
- Supporting corporate governance activities, including drafting resolutions, maintaining corporate records, and ensuring compliance with corporate governance requirements (in close collaboration with the management team).
- Managing and protecting the company's intellectual property, including trademarks.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to identify, assess, and manage legal and regulatory risks associated with our products and services, clients relationships, commercials, etc.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of company policies to ensure adherence to legal and regulatory standards.
- Staying informed about changes in legislation and proactively monitor compliance, providing timely updates and recommendations.
- Assessing the requirements of any given situation and involving and collaborating with our external counsels independently.
What you will bring:
- 5+ years’+ experience with corporate or commercial law in an in-house and/or law firm environment.
- Hands on experience in processing and drafting contracts, especially in the digital environment (SaaS, Cloud Computing) as well as in IT law.
- Bachelor's degree in Law; or your country-specific relevant qualification. Additional qualifications or certifications in fintech or relevant areas are a plus.
- Strong understanding of EU legislation and regulatory frameworks.
- Excellent research and analytical skills with a keen eye for detail.
- Proactive and solution-oriented mindset, with the ability to navigate and address legal challenges.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Openness to continuous learning and adaptation in a rapidly evolving industry.
- Fluency in English. Dutch, French, or German are a plus.
We are a young and fast-growing company with a strong ambition to change an old and slow-changing industry. To achieve this, we’re building a stellar team in which you will be challenged tremendously and have a chance to grow.
You will work with a high level of autonomy. On top of having the freedom to creatively make an impact, you’ll be surrounded by an open team that is motivated to support you along the way.
We like to laugh, play games & do sports together. In the Oper international team, you’ll be exposed to a close-knit diverse set of minds, you will have a chance to learn new things and share your knowledge, and meet amazing people and cultures.
There is a lot of room for career path development, and a lot of opportunities to travel.
Our hybrid remote setup with offices in Brussels and Zürich provides us with the flexibility to get together when we want to, while catering to every individual lifestyle by successfully working remotely. You can also use a WeWork co-working space if your hometown has one.
Our financial offer will be based on the market standards for the employees in a young (Fin)Tech Company (Michael Page / Glassdoor benchmarked) and will include extralegal benefits based on the legal framework of your location.