7.1. Director of Research
Burlington, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
About Phoenix Tailings
Phoenix Tailings is a rapidly growing clean mining and metals production startup dedicated to sustainable and economic critical metals production. Our mission is to be the world's first fully clean mining and metals production company, producing the resources needed for the next generation of our economy.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who shares our relentless pursuit of a better future, passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, then this is the place for you.
● You are only crazy if you are wrong, it’s ok to be wrong
● Lead with Compassion
● Be Resourceful
Lead the charge in advancing cutting-edge critical metals technologies and propel a leading company to the forefront of innovation!
Reporting directly to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of critical metals extraction, processing, and applications through our dynamic Research & Development (R&D) department. As Director of Research, you will be responsible for building and leading a high-performing team of scientists, engineers, and researchers, spearheading groundbreaking research initiatives, and driving the development of innovative technologies that unlock the full potential of critical metals.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive R&D strategy: Align with the CTO's vision and company goals to create a strategic R&D roadmap, prioritizing research focus areas, allocating resources effectively, and ensuring alignment with market needs and industry trends.
- Build and lead a high-performing R&D team: Recruit, hire, and mentor a diverse and talented team of researchers, scientists, and engineers, fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment that drives the success of R&D initiatives.
- Identify and prioritize key research areas: Analyze market trends, competitor advancements, and industry challenges to identify promising research areas, prioritizing projects with the highest potential for impact and commercial viability.
- Manage and oversee R&D projects: Lead the execution of complex research projects, ensuring they are completed on time, within budget, and meet their defined objectives. This includes managing project scopes, timelines, budgets, and resources.
- Establish and manage external collaborations: Seek out and develop strategic partnerships with universities, research institutions, and industry players to foster knowledge sharing, leverage external expertise, and accelerate innovation.
- Secure funding and investment for R&D initiatives: Prepare compelling proposals, present research findings to stakeholders, and secure funding from internal and external sources to support R&D efforts.
- Communicate R&D progress and achievements effectively: Regularly communicate research findings, project progress, and potential impacts to the CTO, senior management, and other stakeholders through presentations, reports, and clear communication.
- Stay informed on cutting-edge research and technology advancements: Continuously track the latest developments in critical metals research, participate in industry conferences, and actively network with key players to stay ahead of the curve.
- PhD in Chemistry, Materials Science, Engineering, or a related field, with a minimum of 10 years of experience in research and development, preferably within the critical metals or mining industries.
- Proven track record of leading and managing successful R&D teams, delivering innovative solutions, and securing funding for research projects.
- Strong understanding of critical metals extraction, processing, and applications, along with emerging technologies and their potential impact on the industry.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to inspire, motivate, and build strong relationships with researchers, collaborators, and stakeholders.
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify opportunities, prioritize resources, and manage complex projects effectively.
- Passion for innovation and commitment to developing sustainable and responsible solutions for the critical metals industry.
We offer a competitive compensation package that is based on expertise. We also offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, we care about you and your family: 100% Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning and development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).