Senior Data Scientist - AI tutoring
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
Meet the team!
At Preply, we are continually enhancing the experience for both learners and tutors. To do this even more effectively, we've created a new cross-functional product squad!
On one hand, we're here to empower our tutors, assisting them in delivering top-notch tutoring that enhances student retention and overall learning value.
On the other hand, we aim to empower learners to keep the flame of learning alive even outside scheduled lessons. Our approach integrates lesson content into self-learning, ensuring tutors stay informed about student progress.
Your primary responsibility will involve facilitating how we incorporate AI into the company. Selecting the most suitable ML modeling and generative AI tools for each specific problem and overseeing their integration within the product.
What you’ll be doing:
- Stay ahead of AI trends and contribute to shaping the future of AI-assisted tutoring and AI-driven learning in collaboration with our cross-functional product squad.
- Identifying user needs and leveraging ML solutions to enhance the learning experience for both learners and tutors.
- Lead the process of building ML solutions that drive tangible business impact.
- Writing production code and developing pipelines when needed.
- Evaluate the quality of technical solutions in the area of AI/ML.
- Partner with the squad’s Product Manager to refine product initiatives into lean, experiment-led technical implementations.
- Quantify the impact of new product features and initiatives to identify growth opportunities and help prioritize our roadmap.
- Produce thorough data analytics of customer behavior and product usage, effectively communicating them to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Design, execute and evaluate experiments on a global scale.
- Participate in the definition of tracking events, engagement metrics and key performance indicators.
- Effectively communicating your findings to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Support the technical growth of data scientists in your team or area of speciality.
- Leading the way in how we use AI throughout our product team.
What you need to succeed:
- Extensive experience in product data analytics and at least 3 years of previous experience as a Data Scientist focused on machine learning products.
- Having a solid understanding of machine learning techniques, including LLMs and generative AI.
- Good and broad understanding of data analysis concepts such as (but not limited to) conversion, LTV, cohort analysis, retention, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical field.
- Knowledge of quantitative fields (statistics, mathematics, etc.).
- Experience and/or interest in extracting insights, identifying patterns, and uncovering trends from large datasets.
- Exhibiting strong curiosity, problem-solving skills, and the ability to identify and address underlying problems.
- Emphasizing a creative mindset and proactively engaging in the formation and evaluation of new hypotheses.
- Possessing strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
Nice to have:
- Experience in Marketplaces and/or digital businesses (B2B, B2C, B2B2C).
- Experience with NLP and Voice Recognition field.
- Ability to apply statistical techniques to derive meaningful insights and make data-driven decisions.
- Experience in the areas of recommender systems.
- Master's degree or PhD in a quantitative field.
- Have mentored others before.
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture;
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development;
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance;
- Access to free mental health support platforms;
- The opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.