Site Reliability Engineer
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
Meet the team!
As a member of the Platform tribe, the Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Preply combines software development, infrastructure operations and business skills to run a large-scale, fault-tolerant, global language education platform. The SRE ensures that Preply systems have high reliability, top-in-the-industry uptime and a fast rate of product innovations. Additionally, SRE’s keep an ever-watchful eye on the capacity and performance of our system. You'll work on core parts of our platform and help us to meet the challenges of growing our organization in terms of both traffic and the number of developers.
The SRE team unites infrastructure, engineering and business to ensure great synergy that helps Preply succeed. Our main focuses are:
- Top in the industry uptime record and latency.
- Blazingly fast Lead Time for our product engineers.
- Running infrastructure in a cost effective way.
We work in small teams, thus you will be able to influence system design and contribute a lot in the company's growth. We’re really serious about it: you’ll be able to actually measure how your work impacts business and present it to the whole company. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
We release our product 70-80 times per day by leveraging modern technologies like Kubernetes, Docker and top-notch CI/CD processes. We have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills across the stack. Please visit our Tech Radar and our YouTube channel to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply!
What you’ll be doing:
- Own the availability and performance of mission-critical services and build automation to prevent problems recurrence.
- Improve the lead time of Engineers at Preply.
- Improve the system’s scalability, observability, and alerting.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Collaborate with product teams to help them tackle technical issues and design new systems.
- Strengthen credibility with the quality of the team's technical execution.
- Follow the best FinOps practices.
- Manage on-call rotation across the team.
What you need to succeed:
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing high loaded systems.
- Proficiency with production troubleshooting.
- Business-orientation and data-driven approach.
- Strong experience with k8s, Docker, Helm or similar technologies.
- Experience with AWS or any other cloud provider
- Understanding of Networking: network topologies and common network protocols and services.
- Experience coding in one or more programming languages. Any knowledge of modern web frameworks is a plus, as well as SQL and relational DBs.
- Willingness to participate on paid on-call rotations.
- Strong communication skills. Minimum B2 English level.
Why you’ll love it at Preply
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture;
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development;
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance;
- Access to free mental health support platforms;
- Access to Gympass-partnered wellness and gym centers throughout Spain to promote and support well-being and physical health;
- The opportunity to unlock the potential of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.