Sr. Aerospace Engineer
Sr. Aerospace Engineer Job Description
Safe Flight, a leader in aviation safety and flight performance systems, was founded in 1946. The company pioneered the development of Stall Warning and Angle of Attack, Automatic Throttle Systems, Wind Shear Warning, and many other innovations in aircraft instrumentation, flight performance, and control systems for fixed and rotary winged aircraft. With products installed on over two-thirds of the world’s aircraft, Safe Flight counts among its customers the majority of the world’s aircraft manufacturers, more than 50 airlines, hundreds of operators of corporate jet aircraft and U.S. and International Armed Services.
Safe Flight’s benefits include employer-funded health care, on-site lunch program, 401K contribution, Wellness and Education Reimbursement, paid-time off and sick time, and various other programs.
We are currently looking to add an enthusiastic Sr. Aerospace Engineer to our Engineering team in White Plains, NY. The Aerospace Engineering role applies engineering principles of fluid flow, vehicle aerodynamics, and flight dynamics to the practical research and design of aerospace safety and performance avionics in Safe Flight’s Systems Engineering group.
- Draft flight test procedures and analyze the resulting data to optimize the performance of stall warning, angle-of-attack, and autothrottle systems.
- Explain design features and capture requirements while working with customers.
- Create and own aerodynamics and vehicle performance requirements in product specifications.
- Contribute aerospace expertise to new product research, creating experimental test procedures, performing experiments, and documenting the results with lab reports.
- Analyze heat flow and recommend design changes to meet de-icing/anti-icing requirements for Flight Into Known Icing (FIKI) certified aircraft.
- Read and reverse-engineer design decisions from legacy documents and drawings to apply best practices from legacy designs while making marketable improvements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Desire to apply quantitative engineering techniques to predict, optimize, and verify the behavior of surfaces and sensors in airflow.
- Working knowledge of control theory, particularly the application to feedback loops and control laws used by avionics to control vehicle flight.
- Ability to present complex, multidimensional data in figures accessible to non-specialists and recommend options with actionable advantages and disadvantages.
- Comfort editing reports and presentations in the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Exposure to Python or similar high-level scripting language for performing data analysis.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in aerospace engineering from an accredited school. A degree in mechanical or systems engineering or in engineering physics with a demonstrated concentration in aerodynamics may also qualify.
- Five or more years of experience in Aerospace Engineering or similar role.
Experience in the following topics is desirable but not required:
- Designing safety critical systems within the SAE ARP 4754 process or similar.
- CAD design using AutoDesk Inventor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunities Employer
Safe Flight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.