Senior Software Engineer
Seasats is a small but rapidly growing company building autonomous boats for commercial, defense, and ocean science customers. The vehicles we build are strong and durable enough to carry sensors on multi-month ocean missions, but are also light enough to be handled by 1-2 people without cranes or heavy equipment.
The company is located in sunny San Diego, CA and is composed of talented engineers, builders, tinkerers, and business people. Internally, our shop work culture is hard working, but fun and quite flexible. Externally, we’ve built a reputation for being professional, knowledgeable, and dedicated to getting the job done. For more info, check out seasats.com.
Role: Senior Software Engineer
Salary Range: $100,000-$130,000 + stock options and benefits
Rather than making a highly specific job post asking for x years of experience, we’ve left this post and its salary range pretty broad. If you apply, we’ll see how you would fit into our organization and offer compensation accordingly. Minimal work/project experience will lead to an offer on the lower end; killer experience/credentials will put you on the higher end.
You're an experienced software engineer, love solving challenging problems, and creating simple / maintainable code (meaning more time to relax!). You also:
- Are proficient in Python and/or C & C++.
- Have experience working with embedded systems.
- Have a solid understanding of operating systems and network protocols.
- Have experience working on and maintaining large or mature software systems.
- Are able to conceptualize and implement software architectures that are both reliable and scalable.
- Are an excellent communicator with a collaborative mindset.
- May have some of these nice-to-have Skills:
- Familiarity with MySQL databases.
- Experience with sensors.
- Linux, Docker, Git.
- Understanding of mobile robotics concepts, including PID control systems, object avoidance, path planning, and resource management.
This is an exciting opportunity to help scale a growing system of field-deployed robots. Seasats has several autonomous vehicles in customer hands across the globe, and the company is now in a position to 10x our vehicles’ production and deployment rates. We’re looking for an experienced software engineer who’s excited to learn the current system and then scale and improve it. You will be joining our vehicle software team in San Diego. This team builds and maintains the control software and associated tooling for our autonomous maritime vessels.
You’ll be reporting directly to our Head of Software, a badass engineer (and rock climber) who built the current system). After ramping up you'll have a large amount of input on the direction and evolution of our software systems.
Here are some of the things you'll get to do on a day-to-day / week-to-week basis:
- Implement and test new features and functions.
- Work hands-on to integrate new sensors and customer payloads.
- Create automated tests, health checks, checkout procedures, and fleet monitoring dashboards.
- Field occasional off-hours calls when users need rapid technical support (these are thankfully rare these days).
- Support vehicle checkout, testing, troubleshooting, and demonstrations by making trips to our local launch points with a laptop (and potentially to customer sites, if you’re interested in travel) to provide hands-on support.
This is an excellent opportunity to do high impact work, see your code go into live field robotics applications, and join a fun and hard working team on the cutting edge of ocean autonomy. Whether you’re a new grad or a 30 year industry vet, we expect an open-minded learning attitude from everyone at Seasats.
If you join, you’ll receive a competitive salary, health insurance, perks, stock options, and an important spot in a rapidly growing ocean tech company. We’re extremely committed to helping new team members succeed by ramping up with well-scoped projects and regularly taking the time to discuss where things are working and what needs to change. We’re also big on personal freedoms: if you’re on top of your responsibilities and want the afternoon off to surf, play with your dog, or do whatever you want to do, go for it! We have flexible hours, a flexible time off schedule, and a personable, kickass work culture. We want someone who’s stoked to contribute in and to this environment.
If you apply, we'll ask for the following:
- A resume.
- Confirmation that you’re in San Diego or willing to relocate here.
- Partly remote work is available after an initial ramp up period.
- 1-3 sentences describing the largest software system or project you've been a key part of building or designing.
- 1-3 sentences on challenges you've faced maintaining a software stack.
- 1-3 sentences on why this job excites you.
- A link to your favorite robot of the past decade.
- A link to your Github, website, blog, or anything else you’d like us to see, if applicable.
- Possible start date (or range).
We appreciate diverse perspectives and life experiences and so encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Note, however, that we are currently unable to sponsor employment visas, so candidates must be independently authorized to work in the United States.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Thanks for checking us out!