Office Manager / HR / Admin Magician
Seasats is a small but rapidly growing company building autonomous boats for commercial, defense, and ocean science customers. The vehicles we build are strong and durable enough to carry sensors on multi-month ocean missions but are also light enough to be handled by 1-2 people without cranes or heavy equipment.
The company is located in sunny San Diego, CA, and is composed of talented engineers, builders, tinkerers, and business people. Internally, our shop work culture is hard-working, but fun and quite flexible. Externally, we’ve built a reputation for being professional, knowledgeable, and dedicated to getting the job done. For more info, check out seasats.com.
Role: Office Manager / HR / Admin Magician
$70,000-$85,000 + stock options and benefits
Rather than making a highly specific job post asking for x years of experience, we've left this post and its salary range pretty broad. If you apply, we'll see how you would fit into our organization and offer compensation accordingly. If you have minimal work/project experience your offer may be on the lower end; if you've got killer experience/credentials you'll be on the higher end.
- Proactive self-starter with a desire to get as much done in a day as possible
- Ability to efficiently prioritize and execute multiple tasks
- Friendly, upbeat attitude
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to go above and beyond without being asked
- Customer service-oriented outlook
- Ability to lift 40 lbs on occasion
We’re looking for an admin / HR / office manager / magician (you’re welcome to help define the title) to join our team in San Diego. Sound like a lot of roles? It is! It's a job with responsibilities that vary from mundane to creative to absolutely critical to keep our team running smoothly.
This is a fantastic high-impact, career growth opportunity for the right person and, perhaps, a lousy position for the wrong person. It is a full-time salaried opportunity with benefits (medical, dental, PTO, 401k, etc.) and stock options. This person will be asked to do a wide range of tasks including providing support to management, accounting, recruiting, and marketing, so if you can only focus on a single task, are an unhelpful, unfriendly Eeyore, and are an unresponsive, lazy, detail hater who wants to surf the web all day, this job is not for you. However, if you believe you have the qualities listed above keep reading!
The best way of describing the duties of the position would be 'whatever it takes.' Since that is rather vague, here are some sample duties you might expect:
- Planning and coordinating parties and fun company events.
- Meeting planning & organization - ordering company lunches and preparing to host visitors in advance of key meetings.
- Keeping the office in order -- tidying work spaces, ordering office supplies, cleaning up the break room, refilling printer paper, stocking office snacks and drinks, watering plants, etc.
- Creation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Social media management.
- Shipping - mailing packages & marketing materials.
- Managing business tax regulations and insurance policy requirements.
- Managing invoices and payments.
- Managing inventory of marketing materials.
- Booking flights, hotels, etc.
- Assisting in onboarding checklists, running payroll, etc.
- Shaping and cheerleading office culture.
This is a long list, so you can expect support on most of these tasks and don't need to be able to do 100% of them right now. You will need to learn constantly and work hard to get jobs done, though, even if it means staying a few minutes late or coming in a few minutes early. Also, be aware that this is not the most glamorous job. It offers a lot of variety and opportunities to learn in a fun yet professional atmosphere, but a lot of time will be spent answering emails, ordering lunches, going to Costco, and tidying the office after a hurricane of engineers sweeps through.
If you do join, along with your salary you’ll receive competitive insurance and retirement funding plans, perks (like free lunches, an employee activity fund, and a pet-friendly office), stock options, and an important spot in a rapidly growing ocean tech company. We’re extremely committed to helping new team members succeed by ramping up with well-scoped projects and regularly taking the time to discuss where things are working and what needs to change. We’re also big on personal freedoms: if you’re on top of your responsibilities and want the afternoon off to surf, spend time with friends and family, or do whatever you want to do, go for it! We have flexible hours, a flexible time off schedule, and a personable, kickass work culture. We want someone who’s stoked to contribute in and to this environment.
If you apply, we'll ask for the following:
- Confirmation that you could work in-person at our office in San Diego
- A summary of what your last 2 bosses would say about you - both strengths and weaknesses
- A few sentences about how you heard about us and what you'd hope for in this job
- A possible start date (or range)
Please note that we are currently unable to sponsor employment visas, so candidates must be independently authorized to work in the United States.
We appreciate diverse perspectives and life experiences, so we encourage women, minorities, and people of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Thanks for checking us out!