Lead Data Scientist
What We'll Bring:A work environment that encourages collaboration and innovation. We consistently explore new technologies and tools to be agile.
• Flexible time off, workplace flexibility, an environment that welcomes continued professional growth through support of tuition reimbursement, conferences and seminars.
• Our culture encourages our people to hone current skills and build new capabilities, while discovering their genius.
• We provide a modern computing environment based on best-in-class "big data" and cloud computing technologies and the freedom to explore new data sources and statistical and machine learning methodologies.
• Our Analytics team is home to some of the most brilliant minds in the market. Here, we will not only understand your stats jokes, we’ll appreciate them.
has context menu
What You'll Bring:
- Master’s or PhD degree in statistics, applied mathematics, financial mathematics, computer science, engineering, operations research, or other highly quantitative field; or a Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field with at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience. In either case, the candidate will demonstrate a consistent track record of academic excellence.
- Experience and demonstrated success directly supporting internal or external clients over a period of at least three (3) years and at least four (4) years of professional experience performing analytic work, preferably in industries served by Transunion. These experiences may or may not overlap.
- Evidence of strong analytical, critical, and creative thinking and willingness to take initiative in problem-solving. Demonstrated interest and proven career path in industries served by TransUnion, such as financial services, insurance, fraud, and digital marketing.
- Advanced programming skills and aptitude; proficiency with statistical programs such as R or Python; experience with other programming and data manipulation languages (SQL, Hive, Spark, C/C++, Java, Ab Initio); high level of familiarity with Microsoft Office tools.
- Ability to lead complex analytic projects under limited supervision. This may entail the design, development, and delivery of complex solutions in close coordination with TransUnion’s Sales and vertical support teams, and in direct communication with customers.
- Strong project and time management skills to lead multiple complex projects simultaneously with limited supervision in a collaborative and fast-paced environment. This may require the management of multiple resources within a project and the effective coordination of tasks across resources using clear workflows.
- Excellent business acumen and versatile interpersonal skills to communicate effectively at multiple levels within a complex and dynamic matrix organization. Knows the organization and can flexibility adapt to changes in business objectives or organizational structure.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish. Proven ability to translate technical concepts into articulate actionable recommendations in a manner that is suitable to influence business partners and decision-makers inside and outside towards desired outcomes.
What we'd prefer to see:
- Familiarity with identity, fraud, security, or credit bureau data and solutions.
- Experience and demonstrated success in applying predictive analytics, machine learning, simulation, and optimization techniques to generate management insights and enable customer-facing applications over a period of at least three (3) years; experience building analytical solutions that deliver value and create competitive advantage.
- The desire to work on full-stack data science solutions and engage in continuous learning.
- Experience processing large amounts of semi-structured (esp. JSON) and unstructured data.
- Proven ability to operate effectively under modest supervision in a complex and dynamic, matrixed environment.
- Familiarity with graph databases, stream computing, or probabilistic data structures.
- Experience with containerization and container-orchestration (esp. Docker and Kubernetes).
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as Cassandra or Elasticsearch.
- Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks.
- Familiarity with data visualization methods and tools (D3.js, Graphite, etc.).
- Understanding of massively parallel processing (MPP) and distributed computing principles.
- Work experience in industries served by TransUnion, such as financial services, insurance, and digital marketing.
- Work experience in SaaS or real-time solutions.
Impact You'll Make:
Additional Job Description
Impact you’ll make:
This position is responsible for leading the development of analytic solutions through consulting engagements for TransUnion’s clients across a broad array of credit, fraud, insurance and marketing business applications. This position requires a good general understanding of US financial services risk management practices and familiarity with credit bureau data and solutions.
- You will be a leading key contributor in internal and external cross-functional teams to drive new business initiatives and deliver long term, value-added solutions to TransUnion customers. These tasks will include –among others- the development of technical solutions to complex problems with a high degree of autonomy and limited supervision.
- You will own analytic consulting responsibilities for a variety of clients, working to identify strategies and opportunities to test and adopt TransUnion’s analytic products and services. In this capacity, you will interact directly with TransUnion Sales and business unit partners and provide an analytic perspective and general support as needed.
·You will lead complex custom analytic engagements in support of a variety of business use cases from start to finish; contributing to opportunity management (e.g. writing RFP responses), designing solutions, leading analytic developments, and seeing solutions through to deployment and on-going monitoring.
- You will deliver analytic insights and recommendations in succinct and compelling presentations for internal and external customers representing a wide range of backgrounds and levels.
- You will provide oversight and hands-on support for the development of analytic solutions using languages such as R, Python, SQL, Hive and Spark, formalizing some of these efforts into repeatable process improvements.
- You will contribute to research and innovation initiatives in collaboration with other DSA peers and may lead small analytic research teams or manage research interns on a project basis, as needed.
- You will participate in the mentoring and training of junior colleagues, fostering a high-performance culture and cultivating an environment that promotes excellence and reflects the TransUnion brand.
- You may participate in the interviewing and evaluation of new talent.
TransUnion Job TitleSr Consultant, Data Science and Analytics