INSPIRING THE CREATORS OF TOMORROW
Who We Are
Sphero is transforming PK-12 education with accessible tools that encourage exploration, imagination, and perseverance through STEAM and computer science. With the help of educators around the world, we are empowering learners of all backgrounds and abilities to discover their interests and passions while equipping them with the skills they need to be the world’s future Changemakers.
With physical presences in Greenville, TX, Hong Kong, and fully-remote, globally-based employees, Sphero has become the market leader in EdTech solutions, loved by millions of educators, students, and parents worldwide.
At Sphero, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and take fun seriously.
What You'll Do
We are looking for a highly versatile Staff Accountant with the ability to work collaboratively across multiple functions of the organization and within the accounting team. We're looking for someone with general accounting knowledge with a process oriented mindset. This person should be able to follow company procedures and comply with GAAP accounting. This person will be fully remote and report directly to the VP, Finance & Accounting.
General Ledger and Systems
- Support accounting activities including Quote to Cash, Procure to Pay, and Employee Expense management; includes preparation and posting of journal entries, entering bank transactions, balance sheet account reconciliations, and other general accounting duties.
- Participate in formalized month-end close procedures including prepaid expenses, accruals, allocations, and reconciliations to ensure accurate and timely completion.
- Support the maintenance of intangible and fixed asset sub-ledger, including monthly amortization.
- Help to ensure all business transactions are reasonable, appropriate, and necessary.
Technical Accounting and Compliance
- Assist with the federal, state and local tax filing process including 1099 reporting and NEXUS review.
- Assist with the annual external financial audit and other required financial audits, including preparation of audit schedules, organization and review of supporting documentation.
- Support the accounting team in developing and maintaining policies, including internal controls.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- 2-3 years in a Staff Accountant role.
- Experience supporting AP/AR function and tasks.
- Comfortable communicating verbally and electronically (via Slack) in a remote environment.
- Understanding of GAAP accounting principles.
- Experience with an ERP in handling accounting transactions.
- Proficient in Excel with maintaining schedules and reconciliations.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively organize and navigate electronic file systems.
- Ability to efficiently prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a remote environment.
- Ability to complete tasks and meet deadlines while in a remote team environment.
- Must reside in and be authorized to work in the United States.
An example of a day in the life of a Staff Accountant at Sphero:
- Spring out of bed knowing that you get to support kids learning today!
- Say hello and good morning to your teammates on Slack with a cat gif.
- Pull up Excel, your best friend of a tool, who you will work very closely with daily.
- While sipping on a warm beverage, start going through bank transactions, entering them into our ERP as needed and preparing bank reconciliations.
- Reach out to your AP/AR Specialist teammate to communicate on how you can assist with transactions.
- Check your Slack for any communications and respond accordingly with appropriate information.
- Take a brief walk in the sunshine to find a bench to sit on and eat your sandwich lunch.
- Collaborate with your team on month end close tasks.
- Pull up Sphero's ERP and check records. Take action on bringing records up to date.
- Reach out to team to see if they need any support on other tasks.
- Close to dinner time! Connect with team to communicate any questions or updates you may have (you are encouraged to do this throughout the day).
- Sign off to spend time doing what makes you happy! Balance is important.
This is your opportunity to impact the STEAM, robotics, and computer science revolution with an inspired, dynamic, innovative team that is transforming the world of PK-12 education. If you’re interested in bringing your unique talent to support our mission, please send us your resume. We look forward to hearing from you!
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $62,000 - $74,000. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate’s relevant work experience, skills, and certifications.
Benefits (Health benefits available the 1st of the month following your start date): Sphero offers 100% paid medical plan (buy up plan available), dental and vision insurance; short-term & long-term disability, life insurance, AD&D insurance, FSA, HSA (with HDHP medical plan), 401(k) plan, stock options, unlimited PTO, 4-day work weeks, 2 week-long company shut downs per year, ability to work remotely full time, paid parental leave, education reimbursement, fitness reimbursement, and a technology benefit.
We encourage and welcome applicants with any and all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and competencies. All decisions regarding hiring, promotion, discipline, and discharge are based on qualifications, merit, and the needs of the business. We are an equal opportunity employer.