Software Engineering Manager
About the job
Testlio is the originator of fused software testing, a unique approach to testing that combines humans and machines to help digital innovators deliver quality products at scale. In any location. On any device. In any language. Via any payment method. The company is distributed by design, with full-time people worldwide and part-time freelancers in over 150 countries. Clients include Amazon, Athenahealth, Microsoft, the NBA, Netflix, PayPal, Uber, Wayfair, and many more. Collectively, they have awarded us an industry-leading 4.7 G2 rating. To learn more, visit www.testlio.com.
We are seeking an Engineering Manager to lead a team of Software Engineers and Data Scientists in delivering solutions that harness data & the latest AI advancements to generate measurable business impacts, ensuring our leadership in quality software testing services. This role reports to the VP of Engineering.
Please note: due to our remote work approach and compensation strategy, we are not considering candidates from expensive areas such as Berlin, London, Paris, Singapore, etc.
Why you will love this job?
- Shape the future of testing with AI: Be at the forefront of innovation, building solutions that harness the power of AI to automate tasks, generate valuable insights, and drive testing efficiency.
- Impactful Leadership: Direct a team dedicated to improving coding standards, test coverage, and product quality, ensuring our software meets the highest industry standards.
- Make a tangible impact: Your work directly influences the success of our clients and the quality of their digital products. See your contributions translated into real-world improvements that benefit millions of users.
Why you will love being a part of Testlio?
- A true sense of belonging: the TestLion Pride is a global community of like-minded people who live Testlio’s six values every day. We’re deliberate about building our community with virtual events and activities that keep us connected across the globe.
- Growth through learning: knowledge exchange and learning are central to working at Testlio. You’ll find that motivated, experienced TestLions with diverse backgrounds can always introduce you to new perspectives.
- Enable human possibilities: your work at Testlio has a larger purpose. As a TestLion you will not only help our customers create well-built digital experiences for their users, but also create opportunities for Testlio’s freelance network, and support social impact programs like Ignite.
- Freedom to roam: Testlio is a global company that embraces flexibility. You’ll have room to work wherever within your region’s main time zones. We also want to make sure you can take time off from work to rest. We honor national holidays in your home nation and provide a generous number of days off, including personal wellness days.
What would your day look like?
As a Software Engineering Manager, your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Leading a team of Engineers and Data Scientists to deliver AI-driven solutions, fostering a culture of innovation and high standards.
- Managing Scrum rituals, backlog grooming, and technical designs, ensuring processes are both efficient and effective.
- Engaging in deep dives on production defects, from root-cause analysis to resolution, ensuring test coverage and maintaining high coding standards.
- Motivating, coaching, and developing team members. Developing best practices to enhance productivity and nurture AI-augmented engineering skills.
- Ensure accurate data collection and utilize data-driven insights to inform key decisions and optimize team performance.
- Conducting PR reviews, developing cross-training plans to eliminate knowledge silos, and fostering an environment of continuous learning and improvement.
What you need to succeed?
- A university degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of experience in leading & motivating a team of 5+ software engineers, fostering a positive and productive work environment, using agile methodologies.
- 5-10 years of full-stack coding experience, building performant, scalable, and modern cloud-native applications.
- Strong affinity with our tech stack of React, TypeScript, NodeJS, Graphql, MySQL, PHP, Python, AWS, Kafka, Redis
- AI/ML experience is a plus
- Fluency in English, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organized & thorough. Committed to quality, with a meticulous approach to ensuring standards and processes are met or exceeded.
- Growth Catalyst. Passionate about developing team productivity and technical excellence, fostering an environment of continuous learning and improvement.
- Results-oriented, with data-driven decision-making and a focus on delivering impactful outcomes.
- Preference for a remote working environment, to lead a distributed team in EMEA timezone.
What is the Candidate Consideration Process
We seek to hire individuals who will be excited about their role and have the potential to grow with Testlio. Since we are 100% distributed, it’s important for us to provide you the opportunity to meet with multiple stakeholders throughout the organization. This gives you insight into the role and a chance to interact with future peers. Our interview process can take about 4 to 6 weeks to complete as we want to ensure a great fit for everyone.
- Hiring manager interview
- Multipart TestGorilla assessment
- Coding exercise
- 2-4 Team and Stakeholder interviews
- Hiring manager additional conversations
- Reference checks
Diversity and Inclusion
Testlio is an equal-opportunity employer deeply committed to creating an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and identities. We are female-founded and 46% of our team identifies as women. See the DEI section of our website for more information.