Lead Firmware Engineer
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2023
At Tive, we imagine a fully-transparent world in which everything and everyone is connected. We innovate beyond what the world thought possible—so what people hold near and dear arrives on time and in full.
We believe (and live!) four core values:
• Create transparency first—everything else comes second:
We believe that trust is critical, and we depend on each other to be transparent and open—and to consistently deliver on their word.
• Make it simple: We work hard to deliver creative technical solutions to complex problems.
• We’ve got your back: We are fiercely loyal to our team.
• Relentless iteration: Our desire to learn new things and create innovative solutions—every single day—is unmatched.
Whether shipped by road, rail, ocean, or air, Tive reduces shipment delays, minimizes rejected loads, and decreases theft, damage, and spoilage. Our customers count on Tive to ensure that their shipments are delivered on time and in full—because every shipment matters.
As the Lead Firmware Engineer at Tive you will be responsible for all aspects of the firmware and embedded software development process, including developing and maintaining new and existing projects, testing and releasing new firmware versions, and investigating and debugging reported bugs or issues. You will become the go-to expert for how our devices function and will work very closely with the hardware and cloud software teams to build a tightly integrated product that ensures a fully seamless customer experience.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Proven experience in software engineering leadership positions.
- Proficiency with bare metal and RTOS programming in C and C++.
- Strong debugging skills including the use of cloud infrastructure and instrumentation to monitor system performance and crash logs remotely.
- Engage with Hardware Engineering on schematic reviewExperience with I2C, UART, TCP/IP, UDP, SPI.
- Experience with COTS sensors.
- A strong desire to learn, teach, and collaborate with the team.
- Experience utilizing CI/CD within firmware projects building and testing with unit tests, integration, and system tests.
- Experience building and maintaining mission critical firmware projects from scratch.
- Experience validating and integrating third-party firmware from vendors and consultants.
- Strong desire to collaborate with other teams, such as Software, Hardware, and Manufacturing; to understand their needs and develop solutions to make their work effective.
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies such as Scrum
In addition, they may have:
- Experience building highly efficient firmware for battery sensitive applications such as IoT.
- Experience in radio technologies such as WiFi, Cellular, BLE.
- Experience working with Customer Success to troubleshoot and correct customer issues.
- Experience using protocol buffers to serialize and deserialize data used in communication with external systems.
- Experience with reviewing PCB layouts and design best practices
What you’ll be doing:
- You will be hands-on maintaining our existing tracker firmware while also starting a new project creating the firmware for our next generation of supply chain trackers.
- You will be the founding member of this new team to kick off the project and will eventually hire a team around you when the project gets to a point where it can be worked on in parallel.
- You will work to build strong relationships with and support co-workers, including remote peers in other time zones.
- You will contribute to a fast-paced, world-class team while helping grow the company that aims to make this the best place you’ve ever worked!
Need to know info:
- Occasional late evening meetings will be required to collaborate with our teams and partners in Asia.
We celebrate diversity, and consider it key to our success as both a team and a company. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment of mutual respect for all employees.