Teacher Growth Manager
Trala is a tech-powered online music school. We are the fastest growing music school in the world, with over 1000% growth in 2022. Our mission is to make world-class music education accessible to every single person on Earth.
Right now, music education is only accessible to the privileged, rich, and urban. Imagine instead a world where all 5 billion people who will pick up an instrument in the next 10 years could get a world-class education. That is the future we’re obsessed with creating.
At Trala, we’re pushing forward music education in three huge ways:
- We invented signal processing technology that listens to students play their real instruments and gives instant feedback on every mistake.
- We wrote the first major method of music instruction since 1954. It’s the first method geared towards adult learners and the first to prioritize accessibility and diversity.
- We personally match every student with a teacher to make sure there’s a great fit.
Our students are ages 5 to 91 (go Linda!) and live in rural Montana, Lebanon, tiny Pacific islands, Hong Kong, and our hometown of Chicago. In the next 18 months, we will:
- Grow from teaching 3000 lessons/month to 30,000 lessons/month.
- Hire and train 400 new teachers.
- Incorporate bleeding-edge technology like GPT into our daily operations.
The mission of this job is to scale the supply-side of the world’s fastest growing music school by recruiting and hiring hundreds of top-quality music teachers.
In order to serve our demand, Trala needs a repeatable teacher acquisition flywheel that can eventually be replicated across many instruments.
This is a highly collaborative role that will work both internally with the Sales and Lessons teams and externally with schools, top musicians, and teacher organizations, all in service of making Trala the place where ambitious, forward-thinking musicians teach.
Success in this job will lead to students taking life-changing lessons with phenomenal teachers, and will also lead to tons of new employment opportunities for musicians.
This role will report to the VP of Education (me, the writer of this JD!).
- Recruit teachers to apply for music teaching positions at Trala.
- Own Teacher CAC as a metric.
- Scale our teacher interview process to allow us to hire 50+ teachers in a month and still maintain quality.
- Stay close with teachers to generate referrals and to build a pipeline where high-performing Trala students can become teachers. Generate a referral program to incentivize referrals from teachers and Program Managers.
- Huge stretch goal: make teacher acquisition a growth engine for Trala by getting teachers to bring their existing students with them onto Trala.
- Work with Trala's Marketing team to improve our employer brand recognition in order to generate more inbound candidates
- Work with the Sales team to understand what kinds of teachers we need in terms of genre, location, specialization, and personality type.
- Build, invest in, and retain a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and high-performance team and culture.
Success in this role is measured by:
- Maintaining enough supply on the teaching side such that we can match every student with their dream teacher.
- Teacher CAC
- Teacher quality (as measured by student retention, CSat, etc.)
- Teacher 90-day retention
- Experience quickly scaling up teams of contractors at a high quality.
- Strong communication skills in a scaling organization.
- Proficient with technology. Ability and interest to utilize new technologies.
- Accountable and thorough, with high personal standards.
- Ambitious. Comfortable with ambiguity and experimentation.
- Bias towards action. Comfortable making impactful decisions and taking responsibility.
- Hands-on. Willing and eager to learn new skills to help out the team. You don’t view any task as “below” or “above” you.
- Experience working with musicians.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Equity in Trala, Inc
- Free weekly violin lessons
- Eligibility for 401k, FSA, transit benefit, and Trala's music education stipend
- The opportunity to make an immediate positive impact on musicians, educators, and students. A unique experience of being part of an energetic start-up team, where growth and professional development come with success.
- Trala deeply impacts peoples’ lives all across the world. These are dreams you’ll be fulfilling, not “leveraged data monetization” or whatever value Facebook claims to provide these days.
- Trala is funded by amazing people like the CEOs of LinkedIn and Duolingo. These folks are leaders in education & growth and are our mentors. They can be your mentors, too.
- You’ll work with people who are the best at what they do. Read up about the types of people you’ll be working with at https://www.trala.com/about
- Read up about the types of students you’ll be serving at www.trala.com/student-stories
People you would work with:
- Nina: VP of Education. World adventurer, marathon runner, and taco enthusiast.
- Erik: VP of Operations. Avid traveler, aspiring drummer, and constantly in search of the perfect one-liner. Won Wheel of Fortune. Lowkey.
- Rachael: Program Manager and professional violinist. Played at that white-tie gala we weren’t invited to.
- Seina: Program Manager. Violinist, violist, dabbles on ukulele. Headshot photographer for musicians & artists. Obsessed with her Golden Retriever, Cooper. Former gymnast turned outdoor enthusiast. Sometimes found working out in VR.
- Mark: Operations Associate. Saxophonist, vocalist, actually thinks Excel is pretty cool. Loves pizza and bagels, lukewarm on pizza bagels.
- Jeremy von Halle: VP of Growth. RevOps nerd turned growth leader. Picky eater turned Chicago foodie. Considered a rebel for preferring Excel on a Mac vs a PC.