Engineering - Senior Backend Engineer - Insights (Scala)
We believe that everyone can and should automate the tools they use every day.
The Tray Platform empowers anyone to do more faster by harnessing automation with the industry-leading, low-code general automation platform.
With Tray.io, citizen automators throughout organisations can easily automate complex processes through a powerful, flexible platform, and can connect their entire cloud stack via powerful APIs (without actually having to learn the APIs!).
Insights Squad is a cross-functional team with a focus on complex data architectures, responsible for the data platform, high performance search and messaging systems, as well as customer-facing data products and services.
Beyond your team responsibilities, you will contribute to company-wide goals around the design, implementation and maintenance of the critical systems that underpin our cutting-edge platform. You'll play a vital role in keeping our systems healthy and secure as we strive for the world-class performance, availability and reliability.
What you will do
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the team, you will be:
- Building backend services and APIs to support new and existing customer-facing products.
- Building and improving our data platform.
- Optimising and improving areas such as scalability, availability, latency, data security and data governance.
- Collaborating with other engineering teams, helping them get onboarded onto the data platform, as well as advising and sharing your data expertise.
- Working and collaborating with other department functions as part of a full cross-functional group; the squad is composed of backend & data engineers, frontend engineers, designers and product managers.
Our Tech Stack
Our tech stack will see you primarily working with Scala for backend services, Terraform for infrastructure provisioning, and AWS as a cloud provider.
For Data platform, we will always seek to use the right tools for the job, tools which currently include Kafka for event streaming, Spark for data processing, Airflow for data orchestration, Redshift for data warehousing, Elasticsearch for data search and other AWS services.
- Experience with Scala (or another JVM-based language, eg. Java). Experience with cloud systems platforms (eg. AWS).
- An understanding of key data engineering and data analysis concepts.
- Experience with designing and implementing systems that are complex, performant, reliable and scalable.
- Knowledge and experience with infrastructure-as-code technologies (eg. Terraform) and CI/CD pipelines.
- Ability to lead technical discussions, sharing your experience and knowledge to help make the right decisions for long-term success.
Your team will fully support you to do your best work
Our team is humble but spirited people, who take immense pride in what they do. We work in a culture built on friendship, transparency, and above all, looking out for one another.
The heart of Tray is made of generosity and trust. It is a community built on individual interactions between people who think differently; who are always available to help, to answer questions and to empower. You'll have endless opportunities to learn and grow in a fun, fast-paced, and open environment. We love to achieve things that haven’t been done before.
We believe in diversity and equal opportunity.
We believe that in building diversity we build strength. We encourage all to apply, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We will make sure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process.