Software Engineer, Inference Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2023
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving, diverse team pushing the frontiers of artificial intelligence. At Twelve Labs, our mission is to help developers build programs that can see, listen, and understand the world as we do by bringing the world’s most powerful video understanding infrastructure to market. As a part of achieving this mission, we are building foundation AI models that can accurately and instantly search exact moments within petabytes of video archives, generate coherent text summaries of videos, perform prompt-based video generation, and many more. The Twelve Labs platform provides access to its Large Visual Language Models (VLMs) through a suite of APIs that are trained on massive video datasets and learn to understand the meaning and context behind the visuals, conversations, and sounds within videos.
Twelve Labs recently raised $17M in seed funding, recognized as one of CB Insights’ AI 100 companies within a year of its founding, and secured a massive compute resource through partnering with Oracle. We are hyper focused on delivering the Twelve Labs platform to our customers so they can build video understanding into their products and power dream features they could have only imagined.
Part of the pathway to our rapid growth has been paved by the outstanding group of people united by the company’s mission. Beyond prominent venture capital firms such as Index Ventures and Radical Ventures, the Twelve Labs mission is backed by category building luminaries like Fei-Fei Li (Stanford HAI), Silvio Savarese (Salesforce), Oren Etzioni (AI2), Alexandr Wang (Scale), Lukas Biewald (W&B), Jack Conte (Patreon) and more.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where our team members can bring their full selves to work, bring out their potential, and most importantly, thrive together. We welcome kind, brilliant, and open minded people from all walks of life to our team. If joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
About the Role:
As a Software Engineer, Inference Infrastructure at Twelve Labs, you will play a crucial role in the ML Platform team, where your primary focus will be scaling the infrastructure to host one of the industry's most powerful video foundation models. Your responsibility will be to ensure the scalability, performance, and reliability of our model inference pipeline, which involves handling high volumes of traffic, video processing, and model deployment.
- Develop an end-to-end video processing pipeline that processes multimodal data (images, audio, etc.) in a video to fit the required format for models.
- Deploy ML models, ensuring consistent and optimal performance in both cloud (like AWS, Azure, GCP) and on-premise environments.
- Collaborate closely with DevOps and system engineering teams to ensure seamless deployments, rollbacks, and updates.
- Engage in troubleshooting and quick resolution of any deployment-related issues, ensuring minimal downtime and optimal user experience.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- Proficiency in Python and Go
- 3 years + experience in building and designing ML infrastructure.
- 5 years + software development experience, including experience in building ML infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of container ecosystems such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience in deploying AI/ML models on cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, GCP.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English with individuals from diverse language backgrounds and different timezones
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Math, or equivalent real-world experience
- Experience in leading a team of engineers
- Experience in training deep learning models
- Experience in model deployment using Triton and TensorRT
- Proficiency in GPU Computing (i.e. CUDA)
Interview and Onboarding Process
Recruiter Phone Screen -> Hiring Manager Call -> Technical Interview and/or Take Home Assignment -> Culture Interview -> Reference Checks
We're also excited to share that we'll do global onboarding in Seoul for all new hires (company-sponsored travel).
Even If there are a few checkboxes that aren’t ticked through your prior experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you are a 0-to-1 achiever, a ferocious learner, and a kind and fun team player who motivates others, you will find a home at Twelve Labs.
We welcome applicants from all walks of life and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We cherish and celebrate diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it makes our company much stronger.
Benefits and Perks
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment.
🧑💻 Work closely with a collaborative, mission-driven team on cutting-edge AI technology.
🦷 Full health, dental, and vision benefits
✈️ Extremely flexible PTO and parental leave policy. Office closed the week of Christmas and New Years.
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in San Francisco and Seoul and coworking stipend
🛂 VISA support (such as H1B and OPT transfer for US employees)