Front End Engineering Lead
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving, diverse team pushing the frontiers of artificial intelligence. At Twelve Labs, our mission is to help developers build programs that can see, listen, and understand the world as we do by bringing the world’s most powerful video understanding infrastructure to market. As a part of achieving this mission, we are building foundation AI models that can accurately and instantly search exact moments within petabytes of video archives, generate coherent text summaries of videos, perform prompt-based video generation, and many more. The Twelve Labs platform provides access to its Large Visual Language Models (VLMs) through a suite of APIs that are trained on massive video datasets and learn to understand the meaning and context behind the visuals, conversations, and sounds within videos.
Twelve Labs recently raised $17M in seed funding, recognized as one of CB Insights’ AI 100 companies within a year of its founding, and secured a massive compute resource through partnering with Oracle. We are hyper focused on delivering the Twelve Labs platform to our customers so they can build video understanding into their products and power dream features they could have only imagined.
Part of the pathway to our rapid growth has been paved by the outstanding group of people united by the company’s mission. Beyond prominent venture capital firms such as Index Ventures and Radical Ventures, the Twelve Labs mission is backed by category building luminaries like Fei-Fei Li (Stanford HAI), Silvio Savarese (Salesforce), Oren Etzioni (AI2), Alexandr Wang (Scale), Lukas Biewald (W&B), Jack Conte (Patreon) and more.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where our team members can bring their full selves to work, bring out their potential, and most importantly, thrive together. We welcome kind, brilliant, and open minded people from all walks of life to our team. If joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
About the Role:
As a Front End Engineering Lead at Twelve Labs, you'll spearhead the development and optimization of our front end systems. Your role will be instrumental in crafting intuitive user interfaces, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and ensuring seamless experiences for our video understanding models.
- Lead and inspire a team of front end developers within our dynamic AI startup, fostering innovation, adaptability, and a proactive approach to problem-solving.
- Oversee the design, development, and maintenance of responsive and high-performance front-end systems utilizing modern frameworks such as React, Next.js.
- Collaborate closely with not only software engineers but also PMs, designers, researchers to implement user-centric design solutions that complement and enhance our evolving video understanding models.
- Ensure adherence to coding standards, best practices, and optimization techniques, delivering high-quality, performant, and adaptable front-end systems in the dynamic landscape of AI innovation.
- Collaborate closely with AI engineers, data scientists, and other stakeholders to seamlessly integrate front-end components and maintain an intuitive user experience for our AI models.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- Startup Experience: Experience thriving in a fast-paced startup environment, showcasing adaptability, resilience, and a proactive approach to front-end engineering challenges. Ideally, building B2b SaaS platform.
- Technical Expertise: Extensive experience in front-end development, demonstrating proficiency in frameworks and technologies like React, Next.js, react-query, Typescript.
- Leadership Skills: Proven ability to lead and mentor front-end developers, fostering a collaborative, agile, and growth-oriented culture within an AI startup setting.
- Agile Mindset: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to swiftly adapt to changing priorities and innovate solutions within the dynamic realm of AI technology.
- Communication & Collaboration: Exceptional communication skills, capable of articulating technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and collaborating effectively within a cross-disciplinary team in an AI startup environment.
Nice to have:
- AI interest and industry experience
Even If there are a few checkboxes that aren’t ticked through your prior experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you are a 0-to-1 achiever, a ferocious learner, and a kind and fun team player who motivates others, you will find a home at Twelve Labs.
We welcome applicants from all walks of life and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We cherish and celebrate diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it makes our company much stronger.
Benefits and Perks
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment.
🧑💻 Work closely with a collaborative, mission-driven team on cutting-edge AI technology.
🦷 Full health, dental, and vision benefits
✈️ Extremely flexible PTO and parental leave policy. Office closed the week of Christmas and New Years.
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in San Francisco and Seoul and coworking stipend
🛂 VISA support (such as H1B and OPT transfer for US employees)