Lead Product Designer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2024
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving, diverse team pushing the frontiers of artificial intelligence. At Twelve Labs, our mission is to help developers build programs that can see, listen, and understand the world as we do by bringing the world’s most powerful video understanding infrastructure to market. As a part of achieving this mission, we are building foundation AI models that can accurately and instantly search exact moments within petabytes of video archives, generate coherent text summaries of videos, perform prompt-based video generation, and many more. The Twelve Labs platform provides access to its Large Visual Language Models (VLMs) through a suite of APIs that are trained on massive video datasets and learn to understand the meaning and context behind the visuals, conversations, and sounds within videos.
Twelve Labs recently raised $17M in seed funding, recognized as one of CB Insights’ AI 100 companies within a year of its founding, and secured a massive compute resource through partnering with Oracle. We are hyper focused on delivering the Twelve Labs platform to our customers so they can build video understanding into their products and power dream features they could have only imagined.
Part of the pathway to our rapid growth has been paved by the outstanding group of people united by the company’s mission. Beyond prominent venture capital firms such as Index Ventures and Radical Ventures, the Twelve Labs mission is backed by category building luminaries like Fei-Fei Li (Stanford HAI), Silvio Savarese (Salesforce), Oren Etzioni (AI2), Alexandr Wang (Scale), Lukas Biewald (W&B), Jack Conte (Patreon) and more.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where our team members can bring their full selves to work, bring out their potential, and most importantly, thrive together. We welcome kind, brilliant, and open minded people from all walks of life to our team. If joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
About the role:
Twelve Labs is at the forefront of pioneering video AI technology, transforming the realm of video interaction with our groundbreaking multimodal video foundation model. Our Product Development Team is dedicated to crafting these sophisticated AI models into user-friendly and powerful APIs, revolutionizing video search and generative tasks.
As our Lead Product Designer, you will be entrusted with the task of creating a seamless and engaging user experience for our Video Understanding Platform. This role is not just about designing interfaces; it's about architecting a cohesive ecosystem comprising the Playground, Dashboard, API, partner integrations, upcoming SDKs, and more, that are integral to our users and developer community. Collaborating with our cross-disciplinary teams, including ML Research, Engineering, and Go-to-Market (GTM), you will play a critical role in making our AI technology more accessible and impactful.
This role is for those with a passion for product design in fast-paced tech environments. Your expertise in understanding user needs through both qualitative and quantitative lenses, coupled with your agility in devising creative strategies, will be key in continually evolving our products.
- Spearhead the product design vision, defining the overarching vision and making pivotal decisions
- Take charge of design work across full cycle product development from concept, research to design, development, launch and post-launch
- Closely collaborate with internal teams such as Product Management, Engineering, Go-to-Market, Research, and Data Science. This collaborative effort aims to shape strategic decisions and metrics, ultimately optimizing the user experience for maximum impact.
- Ensure a cohesive and unified user experience by developing and upholding design systems and standards for Twelve Labs platform
- Collaborate seamlessly with the Growth team to encapsulate the brand and product ethos within the visual identity and the overarching design philosophy reflected on the website.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in SaaS product design, with a preference for those who have led projects or teams. Candidates must submit a portfolio.
- Experience designing 0-1 innovative products that are not yet in the market.
- Proficient in handling complex information, technology, and policies to create structured and consistent user interfaces.
- Proven track record in designing products for enterprise or developer-focused audiences.
- Solid experience in user research, usability testing, user-centered design methodologies, and analyzing user data to extract actionable insights.
- Exceptional communication skills, fostering collaboration across various teams.
- Strong interest in AI and machine learning concepts and their application in product design.
- Experience in designing AI-powered applications or platforms.
- Previous experience working in a startup environment is a plus.
Interview and Onboarding Process
Resume + Portfolio → Recruiter Phone Screen -> Hiring Manager Call -> Portfolio presentation → Technical Interview and/or Take Home Assignment -> Culture Interview -> Reference Checks
Even If there are a few checkboxes that aren’t ticked through your prior experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you are a 0-to-1 achiever, a ferocious learner, and a kind and fun team player who motivates others, you will find a home at Twelve Labs.
We welcome applicants from all walks of life and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We cherish and celebrate diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it makes our company much stronger.
Benefits and Perks
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment.
🧑💻 Work closely with a collaborative, mission-driven team on cutting-edge AI technology.
🦷 Full health, dental, and vision benefits
✈️ Extremely flexible PTO and parental leave policy. Office closed the week of Christmas and New Years.
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in San Francisco and Seoul and coworking stipend
🛂 VISA support (such as H1B and OPT transfer for US employees)