Volta backend/video streaming engineer
We are looking for a backend/video streaming engineer to join our quickly growing team in building a new, highly accessible, live music streaming service that enables artists to perform to audiences both in VR and via 2D streaming platforms.
Volta is a self-serve mixed reality creation platform for artists, that gives anyone the ability to design and broadcast experiential content that goes beyond the 2D screen and reaches into the metaverse. Volta integrates seamlessly into artists’ existing workflows, allows them to build new immersive worlds that were previously unimaginable, and can even let their fans have an impact on the environment, turning a broadcast into a living breathing place. What once required a state of the art production studio and a six figure budget is now being rolled out to top artists for free. We’re well funded, have just gone through the Techstars Music Accelerator programme in LA and have worked with grammy-award winning artists like Imogen Heap.
Here’s our Techstars demo video:http://bit.ly/voltatechstarsdemo1
The candidate will be working alongside our existing development team to deliver the following:
- Develop our current streaming infrastructure for transmitting audio, video and control data between our artist desktop app and audience client apps (desktop and standalone VR / Android)
- Working with our front-end Unity developers to integrate this system with our user-facing applications
- Scoping and implementing improvements to this infrastructure as we scale up our audience numbers and requirements over time
- Working with our front-end web team to build a system to manage artist & audience accounts, upcoming and pre-recorded / archived live performances
- Other tasks related to creating a music-responsive world and transmitting it between artist and audience
- A thorough understanding of video streaming technologies such as RTMP, HLS / MPEG-DASH and WebRTC
- Experience building robust, performant server application-level logic, at scale
- NodeJS is preferred for application logic, but we are open to other technologies
- Experience working with cloud hosting providers (AWS specifically) to manage and scale application infrastructure to respond to increased functionality and data throughput
- Experience building a backend system for simple account management, including security & data compliance considerations
- Experience of working with Unity is a bonus, but not required
- An independent, self-starting approach to working in a small team
- A passion for music is ideal, but not essential
Something looks off?