Embedded Software Manager - Powertrain
About You and The Role
The Powertrain team is a multi-disciplinary hardware and software team responsible for designing the electric drivetrain at the heart of our life-saving drone delivery service, operating in some of the harshest environments on earth.
As the Embedded Software Manager for Powertrain, you and your team will be responsible for delivering C/C++ embedded software for battery and battery fleet management, power management software, drive inverter software, and a number of motor control applications throughout the vehicle. These components are at the core of a new unmanned aerial system that will enable Zipline’s mission of 100 million deliveries per year across the globe. Zipline’s future success depends on the development of electric drivetrains systems that are low mass, low cost, high reliability, and produced at high volumes.
We are looking for a leader with a strong foundation in embedded software and the proven capacity to lead and grow a high-performing team.
What You'll Do
- Lead the embedded software department responsible for the full vertical stack from low-level embedded firmware to implementing control algorithms; from concept, prototyping, validating, and shipping code to production.
- Grow the team including hiring and coaching for performance.
- Craft the roadmaps for battery fleet software, drive inverter software, motor controls application, and automated manufacturing.
- Step in where needed, rolling up your sleeves to write code, triage field failures, and lead test campaigns in hardware or software to get to the root-cause of issues.
- Work with cross-functional partners to anticipate software features, and balance the needs of field upgrades, new features, and internal tool development.
What You'll Bring
- Minimum 8 years of design experience in writing and shipping production embedded software code and systems in C, C++, or Rust.
- Past success growing and leading a high-performance team, including direct leadership and leading as a ‘lead-of-leads’.
- Design experience with mixed-signal, high-speed digital, high performance embedded computing..
- Experience in one of: battery management and estimation, motor controls, embedded controls, and/or other safety-critical embedded software applications.
- Clear communication skills and the ability to explain technical challenges and solutions to fellow engineers and non-engineers alike
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Must be able to work in person at Zipline’s South San Francisco headquarters
What Else You Need to Know
Something looks off?