Software Engineer, Hardware Test
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers.
The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
About You and the Role
Zipline is looking for a Hardware-in-the-loop Platform Engineer to advance our testing capabilities specific to flight software. This includes firmware, embedded software, and low level controls. You will work hand in hand with Flight Software engineers to develop new functionality for our software test frameworks and hardware-in-the-loop test systems - improving our ability to validate code while keeping development iteration fast and nimble. You will also work closely with flight operators and release management to help identify gaps in our end-to-end software testing, and drive the team to close those gaps. We have a strong culture of software engineers rigorously testing their own code, and the work you do as an engineer in test will enable the entire team to level up our validation even as the scope of our work increases.
At Zipline, our customers depend on us to provide a lifesaving service that works 24/7. Zipline autonomous aircrafts fly more than 20,000 km daily over towns and into cities. Embedded platform stability is crucial and rigor in this domain ensures success for the entire organization.
What You’ll Do
- Become the foremost expert regarding Zipline embedded software, acting as a central party to ensure software quality and performance
- Design and build new hardware-in-the-loop test systems in collaboration with electrical and mechanical engineers
- Identify and implement new capabilities for existing hardware-in-the-loop test systems
- Develop advanced/cross-functional integration tests in collaboration with different software groups
- Design and develop component tests to provide rapid feedback on software quality
- Assess our end-to-end software testing process, identify gaps, and potential mitigations
- Triage and fix issues that affect test system stability in collaboration with other engineers
What You’ll Bring
- A deep passion for finding out how things break so you can build something better
- A meticulous attitude towards testing, validation, and rollout of safety-critical software
- A natural curiosity for cutting edge technology, especially in the autonomous vehicle space
- 5+ years of professional work experience, including specific validation and integration experience
- Python development experience - our hardware-in-the-loop framework, data pipelines, and other test systems are written in Python
- Experience building and maintaining hardware-in-the-loop test systems. Electrical engineering experience is a plus, but not required
- C/C++ development experience - for reading, debugging, refactoring software is a plus
- Aerospace relevant engineering experience is a plus, but not required
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $130,000 - 165,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Something looks off?