Material Planning - Purchasing Intern [Fall 2023]
Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline designs, builds, and operates a fleet of cutting edge, autonomous delivery drones. We serve tens of millions of people around the world.
Joining Zipline’s Emerging Talent program as an intern is an opportunity to contribute to our promise of building a system that provides equitable access to critical healthcare supplies for millions of people. We believe that internships are more than just opportunities to learn by watching or doing low level tasks. We expect our interns to take on meaningful work that actively contributes to moving Zipline’s mission forward, while learning real-world skills that will serve them in their careers for the long term.
Join us, and build the future of logistics with the best humans around!
About the Material Planning Team
The material planning team is made up of operations program management, supply planning, inventory planning, production planning, and purchasing. We wear many hats and are always ready to jump in to ensure support for Zipline’s mission of creating the first logistics system that serves all humans equally by making sure that we have appropriate supply to build our autonomous logistics network, and ensure that it continues to run smoothly.
We are looking to grow our Material Planning team, which works at the intersection of cutting-edge engineering, cost-effective global supply chain, flexible manufacturing, and efficient distribution center operations. Zipline is seeking a motivated purchasing team intern to support purchasing and delivery tracking of non-production, non-direct Materials as well as engineering and manufacturing material needs of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), ground equipment (Nests) or their sub-assemblies. In this role, you will not only act as the catalyst to enabling the end-to-end procurement transaction but also as the champion to bring in continuous improvement to the purchasing process and systems to achieve our ambitious mission of providing every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. The role is global in scope and requires cross- functional engagement and execution within Zipline and across the extended supply chain.
What You'll Do
- Execute purchase requisitions to place purchase orders as and when needed and manage purchase orders through invoicing and delivery.
- Maintain accurate open purchase orders lines with the inbound quantities and due dates from vendors.
- Build and maintain operational partnerships with assigned suppliers.
- Act as the primary interface with suppliers on delivery status, issues, and resolution. Escalate to commercial or technical partners when required (Global Supply chain Management, accounts payable, quality, engineering, etc.)
- Partner with business systems and other business stakeholders on continuous improvement of purchasing processes and systems.
- Work with suppliers in procurement of off the shelf parts and manufactured parts ensuring proper authorization of the spend.
What You'll Bring
- Flexibility and adaptability in changing priorities and assignments while managing rapidly changing information.
- Willingness and curiosity to learn about the development of a purchasing process from RFQ and PO to invoice and receipt.
- Requirement to be onsite at our South San Francisco office 5 days per week.
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $34.00 - 38.00 / hour. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, and working location. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; overtime pay; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Zipline is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your point of contact at Zipline know if you require any accommodations throughout your interview process.
Something looks off?