Technical Illustration Intern [Fall 2023]
Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline designs, builds, and operates a fleet of cutting edge, autonomous delivery drones. We serve tens of millions of people around the world.
Joining Zipline’s Emerging Talent program as an intern is an opportunity to contribute to our promise of building a system that provides equitable access to critical healthcare supplies for millions of people. We believe that internships are more than just opportunities to learn by watching or doing low level tasks. We expect our interns to take on meaningful work that actively contributes to moving Zipline’s mission forward, while learning real-world skills that will serve them in their careers for the long term.
Join us, and build the future of logistics with the best humans around!
About the Field Support Engineering Team
The Field Support Engineering team sits between the Engineering and Operations organizations and is critical to ensuring that the equipment we design is usable, maintainable, and lasts as long as possible. Our flight and fulfillment operators drive Zipline, and their ability to use our hardware and software systems to serve our customers around the world, seven days a week is paramount to Zipline’s success.
Do you have a knack for translating highly technical and complex concepts into easy-to-understand illustrations? We are looking for a talented technical illustrator to help create and build a robust, high-quality documentation system for our fast-paced operations. You’ll have the opportunity to use your technical and artistic skills for improving the clarity and ease-of-use of our technical documentation, such as operating and maintenance manuals.
You will collaborate with many cross functional teams, listening and drawing from their expertise, experiences, and needs. You will work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. You know how to set a high bar for the quality and accuracy of your illustrations and will make recommendations for the continuous improvement of our processes and products.
What You'll Do
- Provide high-quality and timely technical illustrations for original equipment manufacturer (OEM) operating and maintenance manuals, such as wiring diagrams, layout diagrams, and illustrative computer-aided design (CAD) renderings
- Create and establish style guidelines and standards for illustrations
- Drive cross functional engagement with subject-matter experts for review and approval of technical illustrations
What You'll Bring
- Some experience with developing technical illustrations, such as engineering drawings
- Familiarity with CAD software applications
- Experience working with Canvas envision, Adobe Illustrator Solidworks, NX, or a comparable program
- An ability to translate complex technical concepts into visual representations to effectively communicate to users and maintainers
- A creative and proactive personality
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate with a diverse group of individuals
- A passion for helping others and making a difference in the world
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $30.00 - 34.00 / hour. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, and working location. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; overtime pay; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Zipline is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your point of contact at Zipline know if you require any accommodations throughout your interview process.
Something looks off?