Senior Electrical Engineer - Ground Systems
About You and The Role
The Ground Systems team is responsible for developing the components to support the aircraft landing, charging, loading and launching. We are looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer with a strong foundation in EE design and an excellent grasp of electronics development, processes, and tools. In this role, you will develop hardware for our next generation ground systems which involves designing electronics in at least one of the following fields: Power supply, battery charger, microprocessor, high-speed communication, LED drive, actuator with position sensor, brushless DC motor drive, and more.
These components are at the core of enabling autonomous takeoff and landing for our fleet of next generation aircraft and seamless integration with our shipper sites that will enable Zipline’s impact to expand from 100,000 deliveries/year to 100 million across the globe. In addition, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with world class engineers across all disciplines and experience levels. Zipline values personal development highly and encourages an environment of continuous learning and mentorship.
What You'll Do
- Engineer electronics for volume production through a full design cycle including requirements, concept, prototype, schematic capture, layout, validation, certification, and release
- Shape the architecture of Zipline’s next generation product, making impactful design decisions daily, while working with a high level of independence.
- Lead trade studies, understand competing design priorities, and provide direction and clarity for burning down risk.
- Proactively seek out innovative solutions in system, vehicle, and component level design.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with mechanical, firmware, project management, supply chain, system test, manufacturing, finance, legal teams in different stages of development, including:
- Architecture: fault tolerance, power, mass, thermals
- Detailed Design: schematic capture, PCB layout, system integration, validation
- Production: quality, failure analysis, manufacturing, end-of-line testing, cost
What You'll Bring
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum 4 years of hardware design experience including: Electronics circuit design, schematic capture, PCB layout, packaging, integration, validation and transitioning a product to production.
- Past success developing electronics for critical systems in fields such as energy, transportation, or medical devices.
- Design experience with power electronics, motor drive, mixed-signal PCB, high-speed digital PCB, microprocessor, ethernet and USB communication.
- Proficiency with basic EE tools (Oscilloscope, signal generator, spectrum analyzer, multimeter etc.)
- Design experience with UL safety requirements and EMC requirements preferred
- Design experience with embedded programming is a plus
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, collaborative, cross-functional environment.
- Clear communication skills and the ability to explain technical challenges to both fellow engineers and non-engineers alike.
- Must be eligible to work in the US.
- Must be able to work at Zipline’s South San Francisco office.
What Else You Need to Know
Something looks off?