Senior Camera ISP Engineer
About You and The Role
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, life-saving medical supplies on multiple continents, 7 days a week.
We believe access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. In service of our mission to operate at global scale, we’re growing our perception capabilities to expand quickly and safely into new products and locations, with the ultimate goal of delivering essential packages right to your doorstep. We are looking for a passionate and creative Senior Camera ISP Engineer to level up the quality of our images to enable the autonomy capabilities we are building.
In this role, you’ll be part of a cutting-edge team responsible for developing ISP algorithms for our cameras integrated into our Platform 1 and 2 vehicles. You’ll be involved in prototyping ISP algorithms and verifying their performance, while also optimizing them for real-time use. We’re looking for someone who is excited to take on the challenge of creating innovative and robust camera solutions to unlock and expand our vehicles operating domain. To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have a strong technical background in image signal processing, deep understanding of image processing and computer vision fundamentals, and a solid understanding of embedded systems. You should be comfortable working with and debugging complex software systems and have a record of delivering high-quality products.
What You'll Do
- Be responsible for fine-tuning and evaluating the image quality parameters (e.g., color, contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, and dynamic range for the camera ISP subsystems).
- Work closely with the system engineering and perception team teams to develop image tuning requirements and validation test plans.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to optimize image quality at the block and system level.
- Analyze and troubleshoot image quality issues, and provide solutions to improve the image quality.
- Engage with vendors to evaluate ISP capabilities and guide roadmap alignment.
- You will participate in quality evaluations for new features and algorithms through experimental studies, provide direct feedback to the engineering teams.
What You'll Bring
- This role requires an understanding of different ISP and framework components and their impact on image quality, a clear vision of what constitutes a phenomenal camera.
- A deep understanding and appreciation of sensor characteristics, optics, and image signal processing of the mobile imaging system, and their influence on final image and video quality.
- Devotion to disciplined and time sensible practice from problem identification to concept validation and engineering implementation with tools of theories and image processing techniques.
- Experience in image quality testing and corresponding test standards (e.g. MTF/SFR, color reproduction).
- Experience with industry-standard image quality testing software, e.g. Imatest.
- Experience designing and building test fixtures for camera systems.
- Possess a deep understanding of photography: exposure settings, WB, depth-of-field, etc.
- At least one complete design and ship lifecycle of a significant camera product.
- BS/MS in computer science, physics, optics, EE, or similar.
- Nice to Have: Familiarity with state of the art algorithms leveraging deep learning approaches.