Senior Software Engineer, Hardware Test
About You and The Role
As a Software Test Engineer at Zipline you will have the unique opportunity to develop, and deploy high quality software that will power our automated testers for all our next-generation systems. Through developing these tests you will gain a deep understanding of our full avionics stack and the embedded code that lives in them, including flight computers, power distribution boards, battery management systems, and motor controllers. You will also interface with large mechatronics systems and need to develop complex scripts that automate many sensors and actuators with operator safety in mind. You will own these systems from early prototype design all the way to field root-cause, driving schedules, managing vendors and bridging cross-functional teams around a reliability focus. Most importantly, all of this work you will take on will be the last line of defense before our vehicles are shipped all over the world to perform vital deliveries. Do you have what it takes?
What You'll Do
- Architect, develop and deploy test software that will be used to validate components from avionics boards to large ground systems
- Develop automation-centric software scripts to streamline design and production testing
- Develop a deep understanding of components under test, becoming a subject matter expert in the device behavior under a range of environmental and system conditions
- Coordinate cross-functional teams and external vendors to deploy high quality test system deliverables in a timely manner
- Drive end-to-end test campaigns from design validation through to qualification, production automation, and pre-flight testing
- Triage and root-cause field failures, using data analysis, test heritage, correlation to operating conditions, and one-off test campaigns
- Develop automation software scripts to streamline design and production testing
What You'll Bring
- Experience programming in Python for production applications, and some knowledge of embedded C
- Experience building automation systems for use in safety-critical applications
- Experience working with Git / CI and the software development process
- Experience developing software that interfaces directly with hardware, including navigating datasheets and validating hands-on with hardware
- Experience developing test plans for hardware systems
- Experience using and deep understanding of common test instrumentation and sensors.
- Experience solving complex multidisciplinary problems with little supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $130,000 - 165,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.