Senior Software Engineer - Hardware Test (Powertrain)
About You and The Role
The Powertrain team is a multi-disciplinary hardware and software team responsible for designing the electric drivetrain at the heart of our life-saving drone delivery service, operating in some of the harshest environments on earth.
As a Senior Software/Hardware Test Engineer, you’ll be the foundational member to build our hardware test infrastructure used both in reliability testing and on our production line. You will work closely with our Embedded Software Team and Hardware Development teams to create test tooling that can scale and grow with Zipline as we bring to life our next generation drone delivery platform. We are seeking someone passionate about creating software tools that can scale and accelerate the rate of progress across the team.
If you're a self-starter with a strong background in software development, embedded systems, and hardware test automation AND you want to be a part of a team that is making a real difference in the world, then we want to hear from you.
What You'll Do
- Be a foundational team-member responsible for growing Powertrain’s test automation capability.
- Develop software tools and frameworks in Python for reliability testing, leading to widespread frameworks used by Test Engineers.
- Interface with flight code running on Powertrain systems to create frameworks for software integration.
- Drive library improvements for error handling, safety mechanisms, data reporting, test restarts.
- Develop data pipelines to publish real-time data to cloud servers
- Develop software tooling for data visualization and automated test reporting.
- Deploy software to EOL test facilities on the production line
- Develop web dashboards for test campaign status and and test hardware status.
- Develop software tools for data visualization and test monitoring.
- Create drivers for custom and COTS test equipment used in hardware test.
- Get hands-on with Zipline’s electrified powertrain: batteries, motors, propellers, cell cyclers, wind tunnels, and dynamometers to debug test failures and anomalies.
- Provide technical expertise and mentorship to junior engineers.
What You'll Bring
- Minimum 5 years of experience in software development for hardware test automation.
- Software experience in Python, and C/C++.
- A passion for developing software frameworks that are scalable and can be used across the company.
- Deep experience developing hardware test infrastructure with a range of custom and off-the-shelf test equipment and using a range of communication protocols.
- Experience developing data pipelines, online test monitoring, and automated reporting.
- Strong engineering fundamentals in the areas of powertrain hardware: batteries, motors, cells, and associated testing.
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Must be able to work in person at Zipline’s South San Francisco Headquarters