Software Validation Manager - Hardware in the Loop
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers.
The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
About You and the Role
As a Software Validation Manager on Zipline’s Hardware in the Loop team you will lead a team through design, development, and deployment of high quality hardware in the loop systems and drive the execution of tests to ensure the quality of the embedded software in our next-generation flight systems. Through developing these testers and running tests you will gain a deep understanding of all subsystems especially avionics, perception, and powertrain, as well as how they all interface with each other and the cloud. You will own the development of our new system testers, supporting embedded software testing from early fast prototyping to production fixed cadence releases. Most importantly, all of this work you will take on will be the last line of defense before our software is shipped all over the world to enable vital deliveries. Do you have what it takes?
What You’ll Do
- Lead and grow a team of 4+ Software Automation and Validation Engineers, providing mentorship and career guidance
- Coordinate with project management on engineering-wide test and integration priorities and create roadmaps for the team to execute on
- Work with cross-functional embedded and cloud software teams across the company, helping define and test key interfaces
- Collaborate with Systems Engineering on the definition of requirements and develop tests per new design and per new release
- Design comprehensive hardware in the loop systems from single board to full rack-spanning systems, reviewing electrical diagrams and instrumentation decisions
- Develop a deep understanding of all embedded systems, diving into the codebase as needed to ensure the highest quality software makes it into the field
- Drive the execution of our software test framework from high level architecture all the way down to development
- Manage our HIL lab space, coordinating with technicians and IT to keep the space organized and functional
What You’ll Bring
- 5+ years experience working on the development of hardware in the loop systems
- Deep experience working with Python and some experience with C, C++, and/or Rust
- Experience integrating with and bringing up CI/CD systems
- Experience being a technical lead and/or a people manager in the software validation domain
- Experience managing large multi-month projects, creating plans and delegating tasks accordingly
- Experience working with test plans and requirements systems to determine priorities
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional embedded software development teams to push their software’s quality bar
- Experience developing automation systems (hardware and software) for use in safety-critical applications starting from the architecture level
- Experience debugging electrical systems both through hands-on work and team coordination
- Experience using and deep understanding of common test instrumentation and sensors
- Must be eligible to work in the US
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $170,000 - $210,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!