Head of Learning and Development (Academy)
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing, and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments, and consumers. The technology is complex, but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
About You and The Role
Our Academy team (global L&D team) is responsible for learning across Zipline and plays a critical role in onboarding, training, and certifying Zipliners to excel in their roles and exemplify Zipline’s culture and values. Zipline Academy’s ability to hire, train, and grow our team at high quality is quickly becoming a strategic competitive advantage for Zipline, and we feel like we’re only scratching the surface.
We’re searching for a visionary Head of Learning and Development (Academy) in Africa to lead this critical function for Zipline, creating and implementing a learning strategy to propel Zipline to achieve its mission, scaling high-quality operational training to support critical medical deliveries, and providing world-class learning support to teams across the company. You’ll coach and grow the team (currently 10+ strong) as you scale to support Zipline’s expansion. This is a highly visible role where you will get to add immense value and shape the future of Zipline.
What You'll Do
- Scale high-quality operational training across Zipline’s operating locations in both the healthcare, supply chain and aviation spheres
- Build a scalable system for delivering high-quality onboarding for all Zipliners so they understand our company’s culture, values, and ways of working — and how they apply them in their individual role (e.g., our values in practice, how to give/receive feedback, how to be a thoughtful member of a globally diverse team)
- Build and scale high-quality leadership and professional skills training
- Deliver training programs to leaders at all tenures and experience levels, both live and virtually
- Build and execute an updated train-the-trainer program for the professional development of both full-time Academy instructors as well as other Zipliners delivering training content
- Partner with leaders across Zipline, including People Partners (HR Business Partners), to understand critical business needs and develop/implement learning solutions to meet those needs
- Build and monitor tight, data-driven feedback loops so we can measure the effectiveness of training and use that to continuously improve across all offered training programs
- Build and maintain an excellent foundation for Zipline’s learning and development initiatives, including our learning management system, learning templates, and other resources
- Be a critical thought partner in shaping Zipline’s People strategy and the ongoing evolution of Zipline’s values
What You'll Bring
- You have 5 - 7 years of relevant work experience, especially in operational settings. Healthcare, scaled ops/manufacturing, and retail backgrounds are a huge plus!
- You have experience as a learning and development specialist in curriculum building and delivering programs and training
- You have experience building and leading teams, ideally in global and high-growth settings
- You have experience building high-impact, rapidly-scaled training programs from the ground up
- You think deeply about values and seek to grow teams that are aligned with the organization’s overall values and culture
- You’re an active and savvy business partner who deeply understands business needs and how training can best address them
- You have a proven track record of building high-trust working relationships with leaders at all levels
- You have a passion for building diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizations, and ideally, you have experience with the delivery of DEIB training
- You are system- and process-driven, enjoy creating order from chaos, and use data to drive continuous improvement
- You are an engaging storyteller and presenter who can build compelling and high-impact materials
- You are an excellent facilitator, both in live and remote settings, with diverse groups
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in 1:1 and 1:many settings
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
The role is open to candidates based in any of Zipline’s current locations especially in Africa — or with interest/ability to relocate to one of the African locations.
The person in this role will spend significant time in person with the Academy team and with Zipliners across the globe. We’re looking for someone who is excited about the opportunity of traveling ~20-30% to Zipline locations around the world (currently US, Rwanda, Ghana, Kenya, Côte d'Ivoire, and Nigeria) for team management, live training, and relationship-building.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
We have received reports stating that certain individuals are reaching out to people under false pretenses, claiming to be Zipline employees, affiliates, agents, or representatives. They may seek to gain access to your personal information or to acquire money from you by offering fictitious employment opportunities or by claiming that they are contacting you on Zipline’s behalf.
Genuine Zipline employees or representatives will never ask you for money or payment in exchange for employment opportunities or other related services. Any such offer of employment or any other service in exchange for fees that claims to be from us is deceitful and part of a fraud.
If you believe you have been targeted by a fraudulent party, we ask that you immediately get in touch with us via email at email@example.com upon receiving a suspicious offer or claim.