Simulation Engineering Intern Spring 2024
Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline designs, builds, and operates a fleet of cutting edge, autonomous delivery drones. We serve tens of millions of people around the world.
Joining Zipline’s Emerging Talent program as an intern is an opportunity to contribute to our promise of building a system that provides equitable access to critical healthcare supplies for millions of people. We believe that internships are more than just opportunities to learn by watching or doing low level tasks. We expect our interns to take on meaningful work that actively contributes to moving Zipline’s mission forward, while learning real-world skills that will serve them in their careers for the long term.
Join us, and build the future of logistics with the best humans around!
About the Simulation Team
The simulation team provides the software and infrastructure that’s used to develop and validate flight software. Simulations are used by developers to iterate on their code, and are also part of our test suite. Zipline drones have flown over 20 billion km in simulation, which helped catch thousands of bugs before they happened in the real world. It’s also fundamental for every developer’s workflow, imagine testing how a small change to code affects dozens of drones flying together without simulation!
As a member of the simulation team, you’ll be working closely with experienced developers to provide powerful, efficient, and usable tools to developers working on Platform 2’s autonomy flight software. That may include integrating with cloud services and flight software, mocking inputs like customer demand or wind, developing visualizations, and improving performance.
What You'll Do
- Develop simulation software used by various teams for development, validation, and certification
- Develop tools to improve the productivity of simulation users, such as graphical and command line interfaces
- Work alongside autonomy teams to integrate simulation with flight code and hardware
- Work alongside the modeling team to implement simulation models
- Generate simulation test scenarios
What You'll Bring
- Must have at least completed the second year of your Undergraduate studies. Masters and PhD students are also eligible.
- Strong software engineering skills, with proficiency in at least one language: Julia (preferred), Rust, C/C++, and Python
- Strong background in numerical methods and fundamental physics
- Experience in software-in-the-loop simulation
- Experience developing or using simulation of robots or vehicles (e.g. satellite, car, drone, or plane)
- Experience using Linux, Docker, and git
What Else You Need to Know
Our internships are full-time positions, in-person at our South San Francisco office. We will host our Spring 2024 interns from January to May.
The starting cash range for this role is $36.00 - 40.00 / hour. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, and working location. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; overtime pay; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Zipline is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your point of contact at Zipline know if you require any accommodations throughout your interview process.