Legal Associate Summer 2024
Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline designs, builds, and operates a fleet of cutting edge, autonomous delivery drones. We serve tens of millions of people around the world.
Joining Zipline’s Emerging Talent program as an intern is an opportunity to contribute to our promise of building a system that provides equitable access to critical healthcare supplies for millions of people. We believe that internships are more than just opportunities to learn by watching or doing low level tasks. We expect our interns to take on meaningful work that actively contributes to moving Zipline’s mission forward, while learning real-world skills that will serve them in their careers for the long term.
Join us, and build the future of logistics with the best humans around!
About you and The Role
Zipline is searching for a proactive and curious summer associates who have the skills and willingness to support the Zipline Legal, Regulatory, and Policy Team in Summer 2024, and are excited to work on the cutting edge of law. You will join a lean team and work on substantive and impactful legal and policy tasks and research projects spanning across a variety of jurisdictions (e.g., local, state, national, and international) and subject matter (e.g., corporate, commercial, land use, environmental, healthcare, data privacy, intellectual property, employment, and international risk compliance).
In the course of your summer, you’ll be at the center of a strong, friendly, passionate, and growing in-house legal function and will work closely with various members of the Zipline Legal, Regulatory, and Policy Team. You will report to Zipline’s Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Counsel.
What You'll Do
- Manage research projects in the corporate, aviation, international law, privacy, and healthcare landscapes, including conducting surveys on these laws in dozens of states and countries where Zipline anticipates operating
- Help build and maintain a “knowledge base” of key legal information, memoranda, resources, and templates that the Zipline Legal, Regulatory, and Policy Team can utilize and build on in the future
- Develop skills in corporate governance, equity administration and investor relations, including work on corporate consents, employment and policy materials.
- Help draft and review vendor, supplier and other commercial contracts
- Develop talking points and materials for meetings with policymakers
- Analyze the legal and policy impacts of new legislation on our mission
- Analyze, distill, and summarize complicated legal documents and statutes
- Write and proofread legal documents, memoranda, and correspondence
- Effectively observe, listen, and summarize (verbally and in writing) internal and external meetings and negotiations
- Coordinate with public authorities, including public notaries and/or apostilles in connection with corporate or other
- filings and formalities
What You'll Bring
- 1L or 2L student at a law school
- You have strong legal research and writing skills and are willing to get in the weeds and dive headfirst into whatever issue or question is facing the business, regardless of familiarity
- You have the analytical rigor and attention-to-detail necessary to provide insightful feedback and comments to work product
- You are careful, systematic, and organized while also using your time efficiently
- You are responsive and have a positive, solution-oriented attitude
- You have the creativity and confidence to suggest new and interesting processes, approaches, or solutions to build Zipline’s legal operations
- You are able to manage effectively to deadlines and competing priorities
- You ask questions and know how and when to communicate what you do not know
- You are an active and skilled listener who can digest and summarize large amounts of inbound information
- You communicate effectively (verbally and in writing)
- You can keep legal outputs and deliverables cogent and simple, and at the same time have the ability to “show your work” and dig deeply into critical legal questions
- You have the enthusiasm to proactively and passionately drive Zipline’s business forward by solving multiple complex problems on a daily basis
- You believe deeply that access matters and that we can and will provide equitable access to goods for every person on the planet
What Else You Need to Know
Our internships are full-time positions, in-person at our South San Francisco office. We will host our Summer interns from May to September.
The starting cash range for this role is $1,600 / week. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, and working location. The total compensation package for this role may also include: overtime pay; commuter benefits; paid sick time; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Zipline is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your point of contact at Zipline know if you require any accommodations throughout your interview process.